What is the C chord in Melodic minor A scale?

M

Mr_Sniffers

I have this problem, I looked at Melodic Minor Scale in the key of A and i was going to play the chords.

when I came to the C, The Cmaj nor the Cmin fits in the scale?

Is there any site that can give me all the chords from certain scales/keys?

thanx

So play a g# on top and call it an inverted 7th chord. Does it sound right? Ifd so, use it. If not, use your ears.

Also, the "melodic" minor refers to differing 7th tones, depending on whether you're ascending or descending the scale. I'd highly recommend using your ears to determine whats best in this chordal (not melodic) context, unless you're trying to work out a mathematical proposition musically (which can often be educational, in its own way.)

-Hoax

Cruel Hoax said:
If not, use your ears.

omg! :) what a surprise and the very first post too! :) God dammit u ppl are good, when u know nothing the "just use your ears" statements come all out. It is clear by the rest of your statement that you have no clue has to how to help him. :) He's obviously tried to use his ears but alas no luck as yet, that is why he is asking for help :)

I am going to write an article or two for my V-Library (at my site) based on the questions ppl ask here coz it is usually the same things that come up ie: chords, melodies, etc, etc.

The only acciental you need to worry about is the G#.

In a minor key, the dominant (the 5th chord) is ALWAYS major. The only reason it would be minor is if you were writing modally.

For example: Dm - E - Am

sounds better and more dramatic than: Dm - Em - Am.

If you make the E a seventh then that will sound even better:

Dm - E7 - Am.

As for the rest of the accidentals, you need nor worry about them as they will (melodically) fit into a chord. You don't build minor chords based on the melodic minor, you do it on the harmonic minor - ie NO SHARPS AND NO FLATS in Am.

However, like in the above example a G# should replace the G in the E chord ONLY, particuarily at cadence points.

Here are the diatonic chords of Am:

Am, Bdim7, C, Dm, Em (E should be used tho instead!), F, G

as you can see they are same chords that would appear in C (A minor's relative major) This is an important factor since the constitution of key is dictated by the use of the primary triads: chords 1, 4 and 5 (the tonic, sub dominant and dominant) these are the chords that define key (be in major or minor)

Also, you can modulate (breifly change key) using some of melodic minor scales notes for added variation.

Hope this helps you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was really helpfull! Thanx a lot, things are starting to brighten up now!

I'm really looking forward into the tutorials! Let us all know when they arrive!

//N

Glad to be of help, I hope u managed to understand it, I'm not good with the lamens terms thing (mainly because lamens terms in music will lead u into further problems)

But I assumed u would be able to understand the concepts :)

Thanks for the criticism and belittlement, James!

I realize that how music actually sounds should be subservient to the theory behind it, but -believe it or not- learning to hear tone color can help with deciding what to play, and identifying tonality by ear can help with what to call it. In fact, your example used the example of what will sound better, not necessarily that which would "look" more "correct".

God dammit u ppl are good, when u know nothing the "just use your ears" statements come all out.
We're all trying to help one another here, so let's try not to be belittling and derisive, shall we, especially when we ourselves know nothing about someone's education, experience, and musical approach.

-Hoax

I know, and I don't mind ppl using the 'ear' speech so long as they back it up with USEFUL info, u know, it's nothing personal.

Let put it another way which one of our posts did Mr_Snifers help with his problem the most.

It's not about showing off or dictating philiosophy, it's about helping the guy with a technical problem he has.

Nothing personal, but if ppl are gonna use the ear speech, they gotta back it up with some real advice, since these are usually technical questions that require a good honest answer of how to fix the problem he has.

James that still doesn't justify the nasty attitude, and crude words. You come off as very arrogant, stuck up, and snotty at times and it's just plain ugly. You sound more like an eccentric know it all that likes to hear himself babble, more than a friend trying to help and share knowledge.

Kind of makes me wonder if you have any real talent at all or if you are all theory. I've never heard anything you've composed besides that irritating "minimalism" score you wrote that made no sense to me at all. I would expect alot more from someone who is as knowledge full as you seem to be.

I hope you don't get a sour taste from what I am saying to you. I feel alot of people, myself included, can learn a great deal from you. I'm just trying to place a spot light on something that maybe you haven't noticed about yourself. You seem like you've got alot to prove and maybe you should just relax a little. Again, please don't take this as an attack on you or anything hateful. Just can't help commenting on what I see.
-Ajari-

Back