what are the building blocks of a song?

046oh

I've just started on music making, and I'd like to know how to build a complete song.
I can come up with short tunes but I'm pretty lost as to how to develop them into a full-blown piece.

also, would I be right in saying that the simplest structure of a music is
- drum
- bass
- melody
?

two different sides of the same coin need to be considered

1: Structure
We use segments to build songs from. These are variously labeled as intro, verse, chorus, pre-chorus, bridge, solo, breakdown, drop, tag, outro.

In addition, these sections can be furthered identified as using the same harmonic (and melodic) idea (we sort of expect that all verses will use the same chords as will all choruses, as will all pre-choruses, in the same song).

A typical structure might be

A - Intro
B - Verse
A - Chorus
B - Verse
A - Chorus
C - Bridge
D - Breakdown
A - Chorus
A - Chorus
E - Outro

Where each of the letters identify the change of harmonic background/melodic foreground as the song progresses

2: Orchestration
This means instruments and how they are used.

Instruments can be anything and you have identified the 2 most basic instruments needed for any tune drums and bass and offered an insight into functional use of a potential 3rd instrument - melody

Limitations on instruments to use come back to what is available to you.

Instruments can be assigned to one of four functional roles within the orchestration: not every song requires these four layers but it is worth knowing that they are there to be exploited/manipulated

Melody- the main melodic theme of the song and of each section
- can be anything
Counter-melody- the support or harmony melody
- think call-and-response style singing/chanting/playing
- can be anything
Harmony- the chordal backing
- usually piano, guitar, harp or an instrumental section such as strings, brass, woodwinds.
- The bass usually draws its material from the harmonic background
Rhythmic Impetus- Drums and bass and percussive elements
- the bass is a part of the rhythmic push and the harmonic push of any piece so straddles both functions but is usually grouped with the rhythmic material as it is more focused in rhythmic movement than anything else

Last edited:
thanks bandcoach and Thee3ternal for the replies :-)
and I especially appreciate the really informative post bandcoach

how do you differentiate between melody and counter melody?.... and Also.. would counter melody be a singers rhythm on vocals??...

Counter melody usually works by using an opposing rhythmic motif to the main melody
- when the melody consists of short notes the counter-melody is using long notes
- when the melody uses long notes or rests, the counter-melody uses short notes

i.e. a counter-melody is a contrasting melody that may be subservient or equal in stature to the main melody

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...melody-counterpoint-what-374547/#post49171293

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info bandcoach this is something many aspiring producers need to read! Will be checking out that link as well!

Back