What is the Best way to start working on a beat - Chord Wise?

legendarybeatz

I'm having some issues actually starting my beat. I'm not sure what type of sound I want to go for, So I tend to just choose different sounds and play with the keys. But what is a suggested Chord/key structure that I should try out? What technique works for you?

Hey man!

Usually, I pick up a "theme" for my song, and try to work it. Like, if I want a track to show "rage", I usually start messing around with some powerchords (I was a heavy metal guitarist before), and then I change the line until I feel the theme. Sometimes, just one sample can trigger a whole composition, as happened to my last song. Really, there is no right way of doing it, you just need to experiment.

it's right there in my sigfile
Tutorials and other ideas available here

still needs some overhauling, but it is what I do in my spare time - currently working on audio for each of the chord progression examples (1530 of them to be exact)

Personally, I tend to pick a key (major or minor) and run with it. My song will then take shape in that key overtime.

Don't focus too hard on the key, think of the feel of the song you want to go for.

Back