West Coast Melodies? Chords? Scales? help. WEST COAST HELP NEEDED!! CHECK.

itzdlo

ayodlo
Whats good fam. I wanna start makin some West Coast tracks but have NO idea what scales and elements are added to give a track that "West Coast" feel. Im from Cali and have no idea what producers like Dre & Swiff D. do to give tracks those elements. Anyone know what Chords & Scales are COMMONLY used to give a track that West Coast feelin? Thanks fam heres some examples, I appreciate it.

Pac Div
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9y8A6Upk6k

Dre Type of Track
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=18807&songID=8466990

I think it isn't really about certain scales or chords or even progressions, but a certain approach to beatmaking. The best thing to do is a lot of listening to really get the vibe how those beats are made.

piano chords (triads most of the time), cellos, violas, violins, played mostly in staccato, marcato, spiccato, "flying" synth sounds (like the gangsta whine), moderately clean drums (compared to classic east coast stuff), and that "riding" feel.

most westcoast beat ever

I started out making West Coast beats, what I did was study DJ Battlecat and listened to all of his stated influences (A LOT OF Parliament and George Clinton) because West Coast hip hop as you'll see has a lot of funk and soul influences, the way we make are drums hit, you'll hear them slightly offset cuz we say f*ck quantizing and let them hear da boogie. But I think West Coast beats are best made in a Minor scale, with a lot of off scale tones to give it a jazzy feel. New West Coast such as Game and Lil Eazy tends to have a darker vibe to it. But if you ever need any tips on composition or on FM Synthesis for making those TRADEMARK west coast sounds PM me, because you can't fake the funk.

AND @T ROD, this is REAL WEST COAST sh*t right here

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
lol, you got the MPK49 too bruh? Thast the same midi I got, lmao. I finished a couple West Coast Tracks a bit ago. Thanks for all the advice fam, thats pretty much what I did. I played with ALOT of Blues Scales mixed witha little bit of Minor Scales (Descending). Check it out fam.

Track is called Streetz on Lock the first track on the playlist.

www.kidfresco.com

Got another called The Chronic, lemme know what you guys think.

yeah just got it not to long ago. upgrade from my axiom 25. lemme tell ya, best thing ive ever done lol..damn foo. i was listen to the chronic track n i was feelin it. then that lil scratch/playback came on. shit went hard son. had to rewind it just to hear it again haha. shit flows tho. the other song streets doenst wanna load up tho. so ill try again in a bit

lmao, yea thats whats good. I just got mine a year ago when I started producin. Its not loadin up? It should be loadin up. Lemme check that for you.

Use alot of minor scales. Try out some C Minor and D# Minor and see if you don't start sounding like Dre. Try some piano chords in stabs. Like Go from Cm - Fm - G# - Gm - Try that out. Bpm 90. Should get you starting nicely. Put the kick on the 1 and 9. Snare on 5 and 13. Cheers.

Back