Is using the same scale the key to a "harmonic" beat?

CDotF

Rapper Slash Producer
Yes, I realize that there are no concrete rules when it comes to music but for the newbie trying to wrap his head around the art and science of making beats I think I came across a "rule" that nobody ever told me about..

OK, one of my common problems is that I'd come up with a decent melody, add the drums, then..... Blank. I end up getting stuck here.

Often times I'd add another instrument but I'd have no idea what to do with it except to layer it over an existing sound. I'd have decent sounding beats but they're boring as all hell coz it's just one basic loop over and over.

Being a totally clueless guy when it comes to music theory and making beats I've been going through A LOT of beat tutorial videos and such to step up my game.

With most of the beats I've studied, I noticed they have alot different instruments working together that play different melodies, but at the same time these melodies all use the same scale.

One off the top of my head is Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" which uses the scale of Ab melodic minor with pretty much all the instruments.

Link: Making the Beat: Lady Gaga - Poker Face - YouTube

In this video --> G Funk Tutorial Day 6 pt 2: Choosing the Notes [7 day song] - YouTube <-- he's using B or Bb I think.

And in this video --> Beat Making: Creating that Swag - YouTube <-- the main melody with the arp lead and the change up melody with the bell/synth both use the scale of G melodic minor.

Now it seems like the "secret" is to come up with another melody using the same scale that you used. Counter melodies to support the other main melody... Or switch up the beat using a different instrument with another melody..

Am I talking out of my ass or is there something here?

Last edited:
What do you mean by counter scale? Never came across the term before, and Google doesn't tell me anything..

Only thing I can think he might be suggesting is relating it to tonic minor/major scales and by extension the harmonic and melodic minor scales as well based on the same naming note. I.e. use both the tonic major and minor scales for a bit of variety.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Oh and CDotF3 you were right on the money with what you wrote!!!

Awesome, I got the bandcoach stamp of approval :D LOL. Slowly getting the hang of this producing thing!

Back