use of percussion?

alxgry

Thats one area i believe I am weak in. What are you guys techniques with percussion other than kick, snare, hats and say a crash cymbal lol.

Lets make FP valuable again

Last edited:
All I can say about this since I don't know the question really but not sure you are doing it already, but always make sure your percussion has a good groove to it. Adding just a little swing to the hi hats or snare makes such a big improvement in your groove just make sure stuff doesn't get masked if it does try lowering velocity of some sounds.

Use things like tambourines to emphasise snare hits on 2 and 4 - standard rock technique from since before the Beatles - very prominent in early and late Beatles, very prominent in Todd Rundgren and Jim Steinman produced ish

Explore things like flexatone as an alternative to hats

Use cabasa/afuche along with hats to add a little noise/grunt to them

Congas/bongos/timbales are cool when you tie them to underlying groove - remember to use the different hand strokes available for the congas and bongos and don't forget about shell hits on the timbales.

Cowbells for laying down the beat - straight 4 or adding syncopation to the beat

Agogos can be used like the cowbells or bongos or timbales

Explore non-traditional percussion like garbage can lids and hub-caps and wheel blocks for more useful sounds to use as percussive noise in your work

check out a few links for more ideas

Programming latin percussion parts

rhythm « Salsa Beat Machine

Timbales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Band coach is a true mf! You should charge on some real ish....Imma revise the notes soon i got a lot of ish goin on though.

Back