Tuning Drums

Yeah..what he said. Andwhn you comress you drums make sure you sel a nice long attack time on the conmressor.

If your recording Live Drums though. They need to be tuned. Tuning and a good drummer can make a world a differnce befroe you even turn the mics on.

PEace

GNX Music

i'm not sure i agree with a long attack time when compressing drums...

if the attack time is too long the compressor won't have a chance to kick in at all...

but thats another thread...

Gnxmusic said:
Yeah..what he said. Andwhn you comress you drums make sure you sel a nice long attack time on the conmressor.

If your recording Live Drums though. They need to be tuned. Tuning and a good drummer can make a world a differnce befroe you even turn the mics on.

PEace

GNX Music

Yuh I agree too.

i thought i would contribute to this thread that i started two years back.

this is from modernbeats courtesy of shootingblanks

Quik Tipz: Find tha Kick's Tonal Resonance
By ModernBeats.com

Sometimes it may be difficult to identify which musical note or key the kick is resonating at. For an easier method in figuring which note/key the kick is resonating, temporarily transpose or pitch shift the kick sample to exactly one octave above it's root pitch. This will allow you to more easily identify the kick's key because mid to high frequency pitches are easier to discern when compared to low frequency pitches.

For further clarification of the kick's true key, you can transpose the kick's pitch up 1 additional octave and then sweep its pitch back down in octave-by-octave increments, confirming that each octave reveals the same resonating note/key as the other 2 octaves. With this greater span of referenced pitches across 3 whole octaves, you can be confident you are accurately identifying the kick's tonal resonance and key.

Lastly, upon identifying a kick's pitch, you may find the kick does not resonate exactly 100% over it's closest note or key. We highly recommend adjusting the pitch using "cent" values until the kick's peak resonance lands over the nearest musical note exactly. Repeat the above procedure for all the kicks in your production until you have identified the resonating note of each kick used.

After going through the motions a couple of times, you will no doubt have become a pro at pinpointing ANY kick's tonal resonance! Stay tuned for exciting additional tips on becoming an expert at matching a kick's tonal resonance EXACTLY with a song's key while eliminating hard to find bass conflicts!

In short, tune your drums :-)

Kudos

Sneakyc has hit the nail on the head. Hope to hear more about your efforts.

At the end of the day, you cannot think that giving drums a pitch change is a bad idea. The ultimate choice is up to you... try it.
Some tunes might even benefit from dissonance. Who knows? You will. Stop worrying about what other people think and trust yourself.

or print this epic thread and read it on the toilet.:cool:

Island.
www.myspace.com/damiansisland

all drums have a fundamental frequency

multitrak said:
agreed. drums do not have definetive pitch, but they do have frequencies as do pitched instruments becarful not to mix frequencies it will lead to a very muddy or cluttered sound.

all drums have a fundamental frequency, which is its note or pitch.

The word atonal which is often attributed to drums is somewhat misleading, because they are all tonal (as far as I know)

from a physics perspective they differ most notably in respect to the distribution of their overtones

the overtones of a drum are clustered much closer to the fundamental frequency than the overtones of a guitar or flute etc.

this fact leads to the fundamental frequency (or note) of a drum like instrument being more difficult to discern by the the human ear than, for instance, a stringed instrument.

I hope this clears afew things up. For those that dont understand I'll try to post up a site that explains this better at a latter date. Its better explained with diagrams:cheers:

Back