Tryna Step My Drum Game Up

AfroThunder

Other than taking a couple drum samples and slapping them together and tuning them what are some other ways to get your drums sounding good?

Take a bit more time other than "slapping them together" lol. I think my drum game improved most when I just got into layering more and not over compressing stuff.

lol ive been a bit lazy on the drums recently ive been tryna conquer the piano so ive just been making simple backing tracks but.. yea... ive been reading around on other sites about aligning drums together when layering and some other stuff like that im interested in learning more.... i guess what i should have asked is whats yall process the way you put your shit together...

I think a lot of it has to do with the layering and E.Q's on the drums. That's what makes them sound good. If you're having problems with making more advanced sounding drum patterns, that's something completely different. Me being a percussionist , I can usually feel the groove of the beat and figure out what would sound good. It requires experience, so unless you want to learn to play drums, you just have to learn how to "hear" the groove in your head and relay back to your beat. Hope this helped.

I realize drums need eq and compression ive got that down also im fine on the drum patterns thats not the problem i guess what im asking is how do yall layer your drums? Whats your process...

If its a trap beat, I like to layer a sustained kick and a dry kick, lower the volume on the dry kick, maybe add one more dry kick, so that the kicks still have the 808 sound but hit with a little more power

I like to start with the percussion sounds. I've found that starting with percussion gives my Kick and snare an actual feel instaed of just "boom bap boom boom bap" u know what i mean?

Other then that, my kicks are almost always layered with at least 2 kick sounds. I also make sure to parallel compress one of my kicks and my snare, if they're not standing out enough for me. I don't use alot of individual compression on drum sounds, but i compress using parrallel, then bus, then overall master to get a nice loud drum track.

And empower comes in like a used car sells man hah

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Honestly man your over thinking it yea you wanna have decent drum samples but they dont have to be great you gotta ask urself is it coming through my mix clear as far as layering I dont even eq half the time just pick a high and a low adjust the levels and go to town I still battle with is this good enough or is this a pro sounding mix at the end of the day if you can hear each part and ur happy with the sound whatever it is then ur good

I always struggle with reverb on the drums. Every time I add it, it pushes the drums back. But if I don't put it on, it sounds artificial. Any suggestions?

I always struggle with reverb on the drums. Every time I add it, it pushes the drums back. But if I don't put it on, it sounds artificial. Any suggestions?

You need to double the sound on the sound you are using the reverb with.

For example:

• Have one dry snare and then copy that and make a reverb snare
  • Push the reverb snare volume back and that should give you the sound your looking for, while still allowing you to have the punch you want.

Smart. I'll be sure to try that out next time I run into this problem. Thanks for the heads up!

For example:
  • Push the reverb snare volume back and that should give you the sound your looking for, while still allowing you to have the punch you want.

For example:

You can do the same much easier and more effectively by putting the reverb on a return track and using a send to dial in the right amount of reverb in comparison to the dry signal. sometimes you can also get cool effects by putting a compressor on the reverb

You can do the same much easier and more effectively by putting the reverb on a return track and using a send to dial in the right amount of reverb in comparison to the dry signal. sometimes you can also get cool effects by putting a compressor on the reverb

Truthy.
You have a few more options this way, and without actually altering the source sound.
Plus, if you get a juicy reverb bus set up, you can route some other other tracks through it for a more cohesive sound..
not to mention less cpu demand.

Back