Trying to create an orchestral intro for a song of mine

Ddream

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create an orchestral intro to a song of mine, in a very dark, moody way.

I've been reading about orchestra composition an arrangement, and got some good tips, like panning sounds and using reverb to locate the instruments correctly on the stereo field, for example.

But, as a noob, I'm having a hard time on how to make the instruments complement each other.

Are there any books, or good websites where I can learn more about this?

I'm trying to leave the flute as a solo instrument, and accompained by violins, violas, cellos, basses, bassons, french horns and clarinets. Is this a good setup? Or I need to have the full orchestra working?

Thanks in advance!

most of what you will be trying to achieve comes back to arranging and orchestration, which presupposes that you have a sketch of your intro with melody and accompaniment already worked out in bare bones form

the next step is to allocate part of the accompaniment to your instruments and choose the register, articulations and textures that will evoke your mood

after you have completed the arranging portion of the task then emulating it with your orchestral sample library takes place and applying standard orchestral layouts to your panning may be appropriate or you may choose to organise your ensemble within the space differently

happy to go over the details if you have a sketch to explore

most of what you will be trying to achieve comes back to arranging and orchestration, which presupposes that you have a sketch of your intro with melody and accompaniment already worked out in bare bones form

the next step is to allocate part of the accompaniment to your instruments and choose the register, articulations and textures that will evoke your mood

after you have completed the arranging portion of the task then emulating it with your orchestral sample library takes place and applying standard orchestral layouts to your panning may be appropriate or you may choose to organise your ensemble within the space differently

happy to go over the details if you have a sketch to explore

Thanks, bandcoach! So far, I only have the melody line of the flute, accompained by a very simple minor chord progression on violins. As soon as possible, I'll post here, or pm you, if you feel more confortable.

whichever works for you

the issues would instructive for anyone so in the thread is as good as anywhere else

Okay... I need to confess, I was trying to make it better to post here, but I discovered I'm having issues on what kind of combi would be good to follow the flute "lead". I was thinking about, maybe, a quartet following it, as it would be simplier to compose (I'm guessing, of course). In fact, I'm having issues on discovering what is the role of the instruments on a orchestral piece.

I'm still working on the lead, though. Soon enough I'll post it here.

share the theme and the underlying chord progression and we can go from there in terms of how to apply sections of the orchestra to the texture you want to create

notation would be nice but a midi file that I can convert to notation would also be fine

Okay, I know there's much for me to learn yet, so don't expect much of this. There's the flute "lead", and an accompaniment for violin and cello (both doing only minor chords). It's in D#, a tempo of 174BPM (as it's intended for a drum and bass song), and it's 48 bars long. Also, I didn't change any of the parameters inside Philharmonik yet.

Ps.: first time uploading something that I'm still learning to someone else give this kind of orientation to me. That's something embarrasing. :)

Ps2.: I couldn't upload the midi file. How can I upload it?

only critique is the choice of sounds for the strings - they are too lush for this type of playing and probably too large an ensemble as well - I'll work some magic and then discuss how to improve the sound selection to match the intent

there are no limitations on what can be used where - as you will note from the tutorial itself all 5 species can and should be played against each other

Back