The Truth About Beats By Dre

I love working with them..You don't mix with headphones period, EVER-But they are very enjoyable if you need to work without monitors like late at night etc, or if not in a studio setting. I thought these were a gimmick as well, then I was bought a pair as a gift and WOW...I been mixing and producing for years with major placements and vouch for these headphones!

With this said, I think you producers who mix with headphones should sit in the corner of the living room for 30 minutes.

Interesting. We have two main production stations at Salem Beats, one of which has only Sony MDR-7506 cans. Mixes translate pretty well to the monitors on the other production station, and pretty well to consumer audio equipment.

No set of speakers has a perfectly "flat" response, and even something as simple as changing the angle of your monitors can have a surprisingly drastic effect on your sound.

As long as you roll off the extreme lows that headphones can't handle (you're doing this anyway, right?) and you're aware of how your cans emphasize and de-emphasize certain ranges of frequencies, you'll be fine with a studio-quality pair of cans...
... as long as you stay away from Beats. Get some Sony, or Sennheiser, or AKG, or something. The Beats cans leave a huge gap in the midrange by over-emphasizing the lowest bass and higher "presence" highs. Tracks sound really weird, as though the kicks and bass are disconnected from the rest of the song.

Last edited:
Back