Trouble with writing music to the sample in reason

crucial

Recently I've gotten my hands on some cool wav samples, and I've been messing around with them in NNXT. I usually get a pretty cool foundation with one or two sounds and some drums, but it seems to stop there. Whenever i try adding something else, like bass or strings, it just doesnt sound right. I know im using the right notes in the right key, but it just doesn't sound right. I've tried making my sound sets sound grittier/warmer to try and match the samples, but it still doesnt fit. What is a good way to get around this?

Thanks guys

The first question is, how sure are you that you are playing the right notes? The second question is, how confident are you in your mixing abilities? If the sounds you have already 'fill up' the full range of human hearing, anything you add overtop might not sound right.

It's very hard to discribe, but it just sounds like it doesn't belong in the beat. The notes are thr right notes because i usually think of the melody on my guitar and then play it on the keys. Now that you bring up mixing and what not, i think it might be that. I'm not very skilled with mixing because i have no experience with it. It's something that i'll have to work on now though

Back