the trick to playing hip-hop live!

R

rowbo

I've been messin around a little bit and I found out that one of the reasons that hip-hop can't be played live by an actual drummer is because the beats are equed, but actually you can still get almost the same sound if you played live!. Your bass drum might sond alot louder, but that's about it.How you do it is layer some drums you sampled. If your drums that were sampled aren't acoustic then you could just use a sampler or something. For layering just use a drum synthesizer, like the 808 and 909. You can even add more acoustic drums on top live by using a another drummer or a sampler. The actual bass drum you layer with could be played by a sampler too.

The rest well...it's not that hard to play live because it's not layered and would sound pretty much the same. You can also just improvise the sound qualitiy with those.

I know hip-hop isn't really about polaying all the stuff live, but I mean if you could that would be nice!.

Is there anything I'm missing?. If I sound like an idiot please stop me.

I do. I knoiw how to do all that stuff. I'm sayin thats what it would sound like if Jay-Z or somebody like that played their songs back live with a real drummer and everything. I'm sayin if you wanted to play your song back mixn it raw like that would give you an idea of hwat it would sound like live. The rest was jsut ideas on how could actually dio that.

sorry for confusin anybody.

I mean like if you hired an actual drummer to play back your samples on like a live stage with alot of people. Like when linkin park and Jay-Z did that CD together. what I was tlakin about would give people an idea of how to do it. The drummer could also just make it sound as clsoe to what you got as he can.

You could use a mixer live like that?.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the processing that u r talking about is that cant be done live is simply untrue. u can make a live drummer sound like a hip hop record if u know what ur doing. ?uest love has been doin it for years. Check out MTV Unplugged anything after about 1994 will have a live drummer including the hip hop acts.

rowbo said:
I mean like if you hired an actual drummer to play back your samples on like a live stage with alot of people. Like when linkin park and Jay-Z did that CD together. what I was tlakin about would give people an idea of how to do it. The drummer could also just make it sound as clsoe to what you got as he can.

You could use a mixer live like that?.

Of the drummer can have a Midi Drum Setup and Simply retrigger your complexed kitted Drums.. thats all velocity sensative (etc)has been done before many times

Also as X is Saying you can have the sounds running through chain (being process as its being played (live ) through Gear and ur Mixer (thats been done many times aswell)

Last edited:
Cyko said:
Also as X is Saying you can have the sounds running through chain (being process as its being played (live ) through Gear and ur Mixer (thats been done many times aswell)
no im saying play a real drum kit and process it the same way as u would drum samples

I've been to several gigs of The Roots. They do all instruments live and with an acoustic drum set. Wicked musicians man! When the drummer had a solo part he really showed it off. He can play the most twisted beats live, even 180BPM Jungle/DnB stuff.

The Roots demonstrate that it IS possible to get HipHop live on stage. Maxx respect to them!

It's matter of practice.

easy mate
B#

If you can do that then I'm savin up for a drumset no matter how much it costs!.

Does anybody know any good drumsets?. I don't have alot of money.

Back