Trap Melodies

Star27

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. How do you guys go about producing your melody lines? For me it's always a simple straight forward thing and I'm kind of get tired of it, it's too basic. Basically I'm using a bell for the lead part but the progression just straight forward. How do you guys do it, so that it seems a little more complex?

For example, most of the time the bells/lead just goes up, down, up down. It's get very boring, and it's overused. Almost everybody does that. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. How do you guys go about producing your melody lines? For me it's always a simple straight forward thing and I'm kind of get tired of it, it's too basic. Basically I'm using a bell for the lead part but the progression just straight forward. How do you guys do it, so that it seems a little more complex?

For example, most of the time the bells/lead just goes up, down, up down. It's get very boring, and it's overused. Almost everybody does that. Any other ideas?
I build it around my bass line or chord progression if there is one. I like to use the harmonic minor scale and play around with arpeggios, mostly.

My advice would be to pull up your favorite Trap song in your DAW. Match the tempo accordingly, find the key and map out the melody using similar sounds.

Ive done this a few times and its really helpful. I don't copy the melody, but I will use parts that I like (with different sounds). This isnt an "end-all" technique. Generally, it helps with inspiration and gives insight on melody progression.

In doing this, you'll gain a fair amount of knowledge and learn/figure-out some new tricks that you might have never thought of.

Hope this helps!

You may just find a lot of trap melodies sound the same.

When people get into more creative stuff than people start saying "Hey, that's not trap."

Simple minor chords and melodies are some huge qualities of trap music.

Thanks for the input guys. Right now, I have mostly all the drums and snare rolls done, I think it's somewhere in the 3 minute range. For the past few days I've try to experiment different melodies and scales to work around the drums but it just doesn't cut it. I'm pretty sure the way the melodies that I played are wrong. When it's wrong, I know it doesn't go well with the drums. What advice can you give me on a melodies pattern that would work with this drum pattern? That's not too much to ask is it?

TRAP DRUMS

Check out 23 by mike will made it, guap by sd, work remix by asap ferg. Those songs are the best trap songs i can think of at the top of my head and i always have them in mind when I am messing around with the fl studios

I don't know much about scales because I am also a drummer. People say stick to mostly minor chords and scales, as for note progression I've been going by ear and experimenting a lot. Sometimes a track can sound boring because the note transition is either too much or too little, and if your instrumental isn't sounding powerful enough, try copying the track and pasting it on top of an another instrumental and let them both play together. Slow bells for dramatic effect, orchestra hits, chop up the hi hats good, and fit a brass section in there. From there try dance lead settings, or heavy synth settings (Purity seems to have a lot of nice ones), sometimes double-timing with a chime or pluck sound will add a nice step up in the beat. All you can do is try and find YOUR sound.

Dude you are what you eat. Listen to lots of trap music if you wanna know what is gonna sound good. Don't just listen to it, LISTEN to it. Analyze it when you listen. Recreate a beat you like or copy parts of it but you still gotta listen to loads of it.

Check out 23 by mike will made it, guap by sd, work remix by asap ferg. Those songs are the best trap songs i can think of at the top of my head and i always have them in mind when I am messing around with the fl studios

I don't know much about scales because I am also a drummer. People say stick to mostly minor chords and scales, as for note progression I've been going by ear and experimenting a lot. Sometimes a track can sound boring because the note transition is either too much or too little, and if your instrumental isn't sounding powerful enough, try copying the track and pasting it on top of an another instrumental and let them both play together. Slow bells for dramatic effect, orchestra hits, chop up the hi hats good, and fit a brass section in there. From there try dance lead settings, or heavy synth settings (Purity seems to have a lot of nice ones), sometimes double-timing with a chime or pluck sound will add a nice step up in the beat. All you can do is try and find YOUR sound.

Those are nice but too easy in a way. I would love to make something like EDM Trap. I would love to use a EDM synth that goes really crazy for the lead, but keep the drums traditional. Something like this perhaps. I don't mind using simple melody lines only if the arrangement is good enough.

It has to have some intricate stuff going on.

Last edited:
Back