!Top Mistakes during producing!

probably the biggest mistake i made is talkin' mad shyt to muthaphuckas when i was still a white-belt beetMan...

now i look back at all those wack trax, and i laugh about how filthy i thought they were...

if you don't hear yourself gettin' better...THEN YOU AIN'T...

my best advice...

be a humble nigga when you are still in your developing stages...

don't start talking shyt until you a red-belt beetMan at least...

ninja.jpg

FyLe ForMatz

Last edited by a moderator:
Another common mistake that people make is trying to get all of their sounds absolutely perfect as they go. This is the most surefire way to lose your inspiration. Sometimes it gets to a point where you need to say enough is enough and shift your focus to finishing the track. THEN you can go back and perfect your sound design, mixing, etc.

- Nick

Nick@SoundDT said:
Another common mistake that people make is trying to get all of their sounds absolutely perfect as they go. This is the most surefire way to lose your inspiration. Sometimes it gets to a point where you need to say enough is enough and shift your focus to finishing the track. THEN you can go back and perfect your sound design, mixing, etc.

- Nick

exactly.. this the problem with me. I can't finish nothing

Bobby_del_Fresco said:
yeah man fl studio is basically my bread and butter..i been usin the demo version since like 8th grade...ima freshman in college now lol
my major problem with fl was that it sounded too amateur...now i aint the best producer...

Fl Studio only sounds amature if the producer is amature. If you find the right samples, and mix everything down properly, you shouldn't be able to tell Fl Studio beats from any other DAW beat...

I'm learning the more complex elements of FL Studio, and while it may not be the most complex DAW in the world, it still has the capibility to accomblish pretty much anything you want it to do.

But yeah, my biggest mistake(s) was improperly laying/mixing kicks, and not focusing on the progression of my beat. Once I had a decent sounding melody, I stuck with it and was too afraid to alter it or remove as the beat progressed, considering I spent too so much time figuring it out.

CONCLUSION: If you throw together a good melody/pattern and later on in the beatmaking process, you come up something better, don't be afraid to scrap the original piece and start from the drawing board in order to accomplish your newer and better idea. :cheers:

^^^yeah, instead of totally "scrapping" that first melody though, i like to save it and start another beat using it...

recycle-logo.JPG

big mistake when i first started was using too many programs. going back and forth between different programs so i knew how to use 4 sequencers decent, but not one really good. once i settled on one sequencer and learned the ins and outs of it i was able to get my ideas down faster, and get the sound i wanted

My biggest mistake was to think that I didn't need to know any basics of mixing and recording ... I thought I just had to record sounds on the spot and push up and down the volumes ...

My first mistake was thinking that the melody of the beat is the most important and the sounds you used didn't matter.
Man was I wrong.

Now I know: How a beat sounds> how a beat goes.

Well, I'm a sample-based producer, so I might differ a bit from yall but, my top-3 mistakes is:

1: Should have learned EQ'ing a lot quicker. In the beginning I didn't really take it serious, as if it didn't really matter... So when I finally learned the EQ'ing basics (and I'm still learning btw) I found out that it DOES matter alot!

2. Shoulda learned scales a lot quicker... It really helped me to compose better, more advanced, basslines, and understanding the technique of combining two or more samples together.

3. Shoulda learned "the art of the chop" a lot quicker. The first ½ year of production I didn't chop my samples, I just straight up looped them. When I learned about chopping, my beats really advanced, and I felt I was using my creativity a lot more. Nowadays I chop, stereo-seperate, 16 level, EQ/filter, time-stretch (etc.) samples...

So the point is: don't think any of these techniques are unnecessary, and that you'll be able to do good without em :)

I think the biggest mistake ive ever made was chopping different samples in the same way... so no matter what sample I would flip, it would always have a similar pattern to it, making all my beats sound the same.

Trankwil said:
good topic. When you're inspired you need to get the idea down and most of the track made while that creativity is flowing. It's a mistake to start tweaking the sounds too much at that point or waste time finding the perfect sound for that counter melody. You might like that bassline and it's time to move on to another aspect of the track, but you spend 30 min. trying to find a better bass sound to play that bassline, and by the time you find it, your ears have gotten used to the track and the ideas quit coming.

VERY good advice

The trick is to not let your mind get used to the track.

My thing was gear, I started off with a Triton Le, when that wasnt enough I got an MPC. Then I figured I needed more sounds (which I did). I bought a Motif rack, then I realized Different drum samples would be a good investment( I was basically just sequencing with my MPC). Then the Fantom came out and I had to have it. Last, for some reason I decided I needed a turntable so I can sample some rare records I got from a bookstore. I ended up with a room full of gear and never learned to master any of it. I knew just enough to use each piece for a track, and nothing about tweaking the sounds or mix to make it worth wild.
A few thousand dollars later, I only use Reason and a midi keyboard and just starting to learn to actually play

Learn to make the most of what you have, Quality over Quantity.

1 - buying more and more gear , and never learning how to use any off it fully.

2- buying more gear to over compensate for my lack of talent.

For sure!
When ppl make hot beats they say it's dope and stuff like that but when u say it's made in flstudio the review rate immediatly drops.

Perfectionism.

My efficiency in beatmaking was severely hampered for years because I had in my mind that if it doesn't sound good enough to me, then I need to change it up. I kept tinkering with the same track for days. When all was said and done, I pretty much "made" about 10 different tracks in the process of perfecting one.

This is an evil cycle -- avoid it by all means! What I learned from this is to just trust your skill, make the track, then let it go. Even if it sucks to you, save it as is and leave it alone. In time, your skills will improve and you'll be happy you have a ingrained pattern of efficiency in beatmaking. Hell -- some of the tracks I thought sucked at the moment ended up sounding hot months later, or inspired creativity in me to improve upon it slightly.

Trankwil said:
good topic. When you're inspired you need to get the idea down and most of the track made while that creativity is flowing. It's a mistake to start tweaking the sounds too much at that point or waste time finding the perfect sound for that counter melody. You might like that bassline and it's time to move on to another aspect of the track, but you spend 30 min. trying to find a better bass sound to play that bassline, and by the time you find it, your ears have gotten used to the track and the ideas quit coming.

I agree with you 110% ... Sometimes ou get sooo rapped up in trying to clean upwhatare doing that it totally screw you up . I have fallen victim to that (sometimes , no toooen I fall into that trap every now and then though lol:monkey:

Sedda020 said:
For sure!
When ppl make hot beats they say it's dope and stuff like that but when u say it's made in flstudio the review rate immediatly drops.

yeah and it's only because FL looks good

it they'd made some more "professional-looking" gui, it would not be like that.

though, FL's way of thinking IS amateur at certain points. it's like, imagine Pro Tools with something like FL Scratcher. that's bull****, if you want scratch on a beat, get somebody with some turntables.

but FL is the most creative environment I ever worked in.

I feel all tha above. We all been there, done that. Its always jokes lookin back @ when u first started.

My top mistake was not takin tha time to learn n master everythin I was usin to make music when I first started. Once I did take that time, my workflow and productivity improved tenfold.

Back