Those hard-as-nails synths & hoovers (think lab4 / tidy)

K

karnage

Help! Im badly in need of the afore-mentioned sounds... hav a massive library of samples already, but wot i want 2 know is if there's a particular synth / program that creats these sounds from scratch... also that doesnt require u 2 b an addititive / subtractive synthesis genius, any help wud b v much appreciated

Korg MS-10/20. You can get some seriously unpleasant sounds from these two monsters. Alternatively, and a helluvalot cheaper, get the Korg Legacy package. They do require a bit of synthesis knowledge, as would any synth from which you want to work from init.

any Alpha Juno emulator would presumably come with a hoover patch or two.

do u no where i can get 1 of those from? The juno sound is xactly wot im after, unfortunately i dont hav a few hundred £ lyin about else i'd buy 1, like, yesterday! R these patches 4 progs like FM7 / Absynth? Or r they soundfonts, not sure how 2 use them either

Buy an Alpha Juno1 or 2. The specific and most used Hoover sounds came from these units. Think Prodigy's Charly etc.

In fact you'd do it successfully with a 106 or a 6 too. ( Obviously other synths will do it as well, but THAT specific sound, can be made with the Alpha Juno )

Dead cheap too.

Theres a plugin called Junox2 ( or something ) dont know what thats like, I believe it has some hoover presets, how good they are though, I don't know.

Delphine said:
Theres a plugin called Junox2 ( or something ) dont know what thats like, I believe it has some hoover presets, how good they are though, I don't know.

I have the Junox2 but I don't rate the hoover sounds very highly. It sounds too fat for a genuine hoover.

For Glazby\Karim style hoovers there is no substitute for an Alpha Juno.

ive bin lustin afta a juno for what seems like my entire adult life... now ive heard about this Junox2 plugin which i then dicover has bin discontinued & i think is mac-only... does any1 no where a cash-strappd producer can get sum clean tasty hoovers, pls help if u can!

try this on a decent analogue emulation.

1 - Oscillator 1: Use a square wave with PWM (try 20%)

2 - Oscillator 2: Use a saw wave with double the PWM of Osc 1 (try 40%)

3 - Oscillator 3: Use a sub square two Octaves lower than osc 1 and 2, set the PWM at about 30%

4 - Set the LP Filter cutoff to around 2,5Khz, with medium resonance (experiment with these two but this is about right)

5 - Use the Pitch envelope (if it has one) or the pitch wheel to get that hoover drone just right.

Don't forget about the MKS-50, which is the rackmount of the Junos. I aquired one in a studio lot I picked up to resell a bunch of old stuff. I almost sold this... but played with it first and am glad I kept it. They should be much chepaer than the full keyboards (plus portable).

Indeed I'd recommend to get a Roland Alpha-Juno 1 or 2, or a Roland MKS-50 (exactly the same synth and sound engine but in 19" module - I own one instead of my earlier Alpha-Juno-2). Lately the Ebay prices are only $150-$200; so that should be affordable if you save some money.
And to edit them easily you should get the PG-300 programmer too (but then you'll have to pay ± $400 for both together - the programmer is pretty rare).
Good luck & enjoy !! :cheers:

^^^Theres a free editor for the PC that works pretty good too. Not like the programmer but WAY better than using the menu.

Not sure if its on the web too, but I found it at yahoo group alphajuno-mks50 under the files section. It is called EZalpha (ezalpha.zip). I just noticed there is also a pg3000 emulator for windows on there too. I am not active at all in any of the yahoo groups, but it really comes in handy to be a member of the groups for the gear you have as a reference when you need to find something (although some are better than others).

if ur using a sequencer like cubase, try Vangaurd. lots of sick synths. Also look into 303's, u can sometimes really get an ill 'www-wow-wow' sound

Back