Thinking about getting a maschine but have no sense of rhythm

P

paddybear

Found a maschine cheap, but my question is this, I want to create better drums, so I'm just assuming I probably best learn how to play properly, as there's definite room for improvement. So would a maschine be a good tool for that (obviously it has the added benefit of being a controller and production tool), or would I just be better off with a drum kit?

I think buying a Maschine wouldn't be a bad way to go. If you don't have a sense of rhythm yet, the only way you're going to be able to learn it is through practice.

Some people said earlier that Maschine won't help, and I think they're both right and wrong. They're right in the sense that purchasing a Maschine alone won't suddenly bless you with a great sense of rhythm. But wrong because you don't need rhythm to create good beats. Look at all these people creating beats with Fruity Loops and a mouse. Mashine's software enables you to do the same thing, you don't need a sense of rhythm if you know a few drum patterns.

In the end, I say get a Maschine and start practicing. A producer with no rhythm is kind of an oxymoron.

If you say you dont have a sense of rhythm maschine would be the way to go seeing how you could always quantize some shit to get it to sound right... But a drum kit wont give you the same option, it will force you to find your ryhthm.... Go listen to some Neil Peart... on youtube...and study that shit...

Last edited:
Practice, quantizations, step sequencing. If you wan´t to produce I would have steered clear of getting a drum kit. In Electroning and Urban styles you can play drums fine on a midi keyboard. If you need pads, get a keyboard with pads. Or if you are mainly into making just beats beats, get machine or any other pad based tool.

Last edited:
practice following the beats. mimic the the kicks and claps with your hands and fist while listening to your music. it worked for me

Last edited:
practice following the beats. mimic the the kicks and claps with your hands and fist while listening to your music. it worked for me

Definitely a good way to start practicing drumming on beat. This is also a good way to begin learning some good drum patterns. Any and every time I listen to music I'm drumming along to the beat.

Back