Theatre Sounds - The Normal Heart

Individual

My apologies to those rhythmists who already dealt with this. :o

I've been asked to assist a production of The Normal Heart as the sound designer. However, I've got very little theatre exposure to reference, and no experience with non-musical productions (even as an audience member). Some of the work is pretty cut and dry (phones ringing and SFX), but when it comes to the other stuff I'm obviously not coming with much reference.

I was envisioning music to take the audience from one scene to the next, but after I listened to the emotional bombshells that are dropped before scene endings, I just couldn't picture anything but silence carrying the energy of the play well.

I'm wondering if any of you out there have had experience with this kind of thing. Also, I know the Normal Heart has run several times and I wanted to know if any of you had gone to it and remembered any of what was done for sound at those showings.

I've tried to find some video/audio of it, but all I've found is a reading without sound FX and the announcer saying "The phone rings".

Any help or ideas you have to throw at me are greatly appreciated. If one of you has seen it and can recollect what they were doing soundwise I'm gonna be one hell of a happy camper.

I realise most of the final calls will not be mine, but I'd like to bring more reference to the table than I have right now.

Back