tempo change question

5Elements

hello!

I wrote a section of 16th notes at 100bpm. Now, when changing bpm to 134(or whatever), obviously it sounds a lot faster.
How to transpose the same melody, in my case made of 16ths, to a higher bpm without loosing melody?

I really can't figure out, and some help will be appreciated a lot!

You can't. If you did keep the same time intervals it would sound off beat at a higher bpm. (Unless it's like 200 bpm or 50 bpm or 25 bpm etc)

not quite true - you could try to transform the melody so that it was 4/3 speed (134bpm is 4/3 of the original 100bpm more or less). You would multiply your length by 4 then divide it by 3. You would also need to modify the starting point of each note so that it was 4/3 further away from the previous note. this is not a trivial exercise, so you would be best advised to try this in a copy of the file rather than in the original version, that way any errors can be recovered from quickly.

if you take the given example - you would convert all 16ths to triplet 8ths and so on (8ths got triplet 1/4s, 1/4's got trip[let 1/2's, and so on) your melody will be 1/3 as long again.....

yeah, i knew that there's such way, but I'm bad at math)))
I'll read your post carefully (cause I didn't understood the process :) ) and will try to figure out how you advised.

thank you again, bandcoach!! not the first time when you help me!

Bandcoach, that's very true, but i wouldn't recommend that unless he had a tune going in 134 bpm or whatever and then played the melody at 100 bpm somehow... its gonna sound weird transposed like that. My 2c. You're very correct though, I shouldn't have said there is no way!

Back