Take a break on making beats to pursue piano lessons/music theory?

jamesburrell98

Hi guy, i want to stop/slow down on my sampling and learn music theory and piano to create purely from scratch:-) im really taking a break from making beats for that reason and i just want to...i find myself limited when i sample now, but i still like sampling though. i want to learn piano really bad because lately i have been really inspired by pharrell williams/chad hugo(the Neptunes). i am now searching for a piano program or teacher but wanted feedback.Pharrell and chad are like my idols so it made me think of getting piano lessons. will piano help to make better beats? is it hard to learn since im 15 yrs old?? should i just stick to sampling and piano lessons are not that important? thank you guys if u respond, its much appreciated and stay blessed:-)

Last edited:
Hi guy, i want to stop/slow down on my sampling and learn music theory and piano to create purely from scratch:-) im really taking a break from making beats for that reason and i just want to...i find myself limited when i sample now, but i still like sampling though. i want to learn piano really bad because lately i have been really inspired by pharrell williams/chad hugo(the Neptunes). i am now searching for a piano program or teacher but wanted feedback.Pharrell and chad are like my idols so it made me think of getting piano lessons. will piano help to make better beats? is it hard to learn since im 15 yrs old?? should i just stick to sampling and piano lessons are not that important? thank you guys if u respond, its much appreciated and stay blessed:-)

My first two songs were sampled, But its not NEEDED to take lessons to make nice beats with piano, just kinda play around with what sounds good, chords help out alot when making beats, just mess around with it, i made a beat with a piano and know nothing about piano, check it out in my signature

ignoring the self-promo spam above,
Hi guy, i want to stop/slow down on my sampling and learn music theory and piano to create purely from scratch:-) im really taking a break from making beats for that reason and i just want to...i find myself limited when i sample now, but i still like sampling though. i want to learn piano really bad because lately i have been really inspired by pharrell williams/chad hugo(the Neptunes). i am now searching for a piano program or teacher but wanted feedback.
Pharrell and chad are like my idols so it made me think of getting piano lessons. will piano help to make better beats? is it hard to learn since im 15 yrs old?? should i just stick to sampling and piano lessons are not that important? thank you guys if u respond, its much appreciated and stay blessed:-)

simply put, the hallmark of a professional is the ongoing commitment to learning about their profession (that and setting your own price for your services).

There are only 3 steps to this process:

Step 1 is to say I need to learn "this" (whatever this may be, in your case theory and keyboard skills).

Step 2 is to do something about it by working with other professionals or teachers to successfully acquire the knowledge and skills you have decided you need. Step 2 has a sub-step known as practice and application: you need to work at acquiring new skills and knowledge, as it is only through application and practice that it becomes part of your skillset.

Step 3 is to return to Step 1

You have finished step 1. Now you need to find someone to work with the achieve step 2. IMNSHO you should get yourself together with a flesh and blood teacher - they will provide you with the necessary feedback to improve each time you work with them. You should be able to find someone who plays in the style you want to learn quite easily either by going to your local music store or asking at school - the music teachers are a good resource regardless of what you think of them personally - be genuine and they will help you if they can.

I wasn't spamming lol, why would I have to spam? I'm showing the guy how I made what I made without knowing anything about pianos. Chill with all that

my point exactly: you were promoting your own music and showing your ignorance at the same time

I'm not sure showing that you can make beats without piano training is quite showing off his music, that seems like a bit of an assumption.
Aside from that, you don't have to take a break from making beats to take piano lessons or learn theory. Continue making beats by adding what you are learning about theory and piano to the new beats. Each time you learn something new, practice applying it to a beat.
Learning Piano and theory will greatly improve your compositional skills, and everyone who composes music should learn some piano, imo.

Do whatever you want, man. If there's something you want to do, whether it's just stick to sampling and have fun with that, or learn music theory and piano and record your own stuff, just do it. What's stopping you?

Back