Synthesis - Negative Modulation Envelope Settings

Sequence2

Does anyone actually use the negative setting with a modulation envelope? I honestly cannot figure out how I could incorporate it with any sound design/ synthesis.

By a negative setting, I am implying that instead of going from 0 to +63/+64, you input values between 0 and -63/-64. (The modulation envelope can either +/- modulate the cutoff, phaser freq, etc with an ADSR envelope). If anyone knows how a negative setting could be used, please feel free to share! Or post a youtube video (I cannot find one to save my life)

Current synths I own that incorporate negative settings: Sylenth1, Novation V-station

You mean like this?
southpole-expedition-part-3-pattern-sequenced-adsr-envelopes-envelope-negative-envelope-amount-graph.png

Just try stuff out, though I wouldn't let the release go up if it was a volume envelope.
But otherwise you could get pretty neat effects.
How about a glitchy synth with a negative pitch-envelope?
Or a custom filtershape with resonance going through a negative envelope on a filter-parameter, maybe on the cutoff or the steepness?

Just experiment :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah like that.. I just find I mess around w/ negative settings for 20-30 mins and get nothing but cheese sounds
The resonance idea sounds great tho, i'll look into that a bit more! Thanks

Back