Synth Categories.

PinkytheBrains

Loopertshmock
Ive been messing around a bunch with synths and i know the basics of synth design but i was wondering are there categories for types of synth because i keep getting similar sounds...
i wana like break through to the other side with my synths haha.

im talking about

theres pads and leads and _____ and _______ and _____ haha.

idk if my questions formatted the best but ****ing hell

I WANT FRESH ASS SYNTH SOUNDS ! :D

Not sure what you're asking exactly but a lot of synths try to replicate real instrument groups, i.e Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, and so on, not forgetting the brilliant "sfx" category which always makes for some interesting presets. You can tell the age of a synth by it's "sfx" presets, they're like the wrinkles of the synth world.

There are many types of synthesis that produce sound: Analogue, wavetable, additive, subtractive, physical-modeling etc. All of these can produce cool sounds but it helps to understand how your synth works in order to make your own sounds.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

This link is a good place to become familiar classic synth sounds that we know and love:
Famous Sounds

Ive been messing around a bunch with synths and i know the basics of synth design but i was wondering are there categories for types of synth because i keep getting similar sounds...
i wana like break through to the other side with my synths haha.

im talking about

theres pads and leads and _____ and _______ and _____ haha.

idk if my questions formatted the best but ****ing hell

I WANT FRESH ASS SYNTH SOUNDS ! :D

Off the top of my head, theres:
Pads
Leads
Atmospheres
Sequences
Arpeggios
SFX
Noise
Keys (kind of like leads, but imo emulate more on the piano side of things)
Bass

And I'm sure people can add to the list..But thats what I usually see..You can easily create anything if you know how your synth works. Some of them, especially the VST's are designed very differently, but operate on the same principles.

Atmosphere, to me, are like pads...but perhaps a little difference.. If you get a VST that has presets of Atmospheres....they usually sound like whatever the title is.

As I said they are like pads....to an extent...but really pads remind me of synthesized Strings.

Sequences can be pretty much any of the above, but if the synth has a step sequencer, you can create a sequence out of it. Some synths don't have built in step sequencers...but there are plugins out there you can load in your Mixer which are step sequencers and you can get the same results.

Arpeggios are kinda the same thing as sequences.. Say you have the C Major chord: C E G... If your synth has the arpeggio function turned on, if I'm not mistaken, it will play the broken chord continuously.. C to E to G to etc, etc. If the synth does not have the Chord function of the Arpeggio....if you were to hit and hold the C key, I believe it goes thru the octaves playing the C note.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

[/COLOR]This link is a good place to become familiar classic synth sounds that we know and love:
Famous Sounds

That site sure does bring back some memories haha great find, spacebase!

i appreciate your post especially you quantum. Thats exactly what i was asking for.. i was wondering now also do you think that they have some where the diffrent aspects of eatch in terms of synthesis .. like pads = Long release and attack with 2 osc + detuning = pad etc lol or lead = short attack and short decay or long decay w.e

just wondering hit me back up if you can !

i appreciate your post especially you quantum. Thats exactly what i was asking for.. i was wondering now also do you think that they have some where the diffrent aspects of eatch in terms of synthesis .. like pads = Long release and attack with 2 osc + detuning = pad etc lol or lead = short attack and short decay or long decay w.e

just wondering hit me back up if you can !

Yeah alot of pads have long attack and release, and alot of leads have short attack and decay... but if you're programming your own synths, its all up to you as to how the sound sounds....theres plenty of tutorials out there..If youre looking to become a programmer/better programmer, then i strongly suggest searching on google or something for basics of synthesis and what not

Back