Super realistic orchestral sounds for Logic 9?

AleksZen

Hey what's good everyone,

I got a question regarding 'realistic orchestral sounds'.

Logic 9 has got some dope orchestral sounds but i've definitely heard better out there plus i've more or less rinsed those sounds in particular..

People have mentioned stuff like east-west orchestral sounds but they are looking a bit pricey for me at the moment.. can anyone suggest some good virtual instruments i could cop which are a step up from those in Logic, but which wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?

Cheers,

Aleks

If you want really good orchestral instruments it will cost you a lot.There's no way around it.The garritan stuff is affordable but it sounds like crap compared to what else is out there.As a general recommendation,I think SpitFire Audio makes the best sounding orchestral libraries.You should also look at the products made by Cinesamples and Orchestral Tools.

Though for your first purchase you should get a library that features a full orchestra ensembles and is more affordable.

Some of your choices are:

Da Capo - Sonokinetic - $270

Albion « Spitfire Audio LLP - $580

Symphobia - $1000

Though you have to look into them for yourself and decide which one is right for you.I would personally go with Albion by Spitfire if I had to get my first orchestral library.I have all their products and I'm in love with them.

really good ones wont be cheap

but honestly with proper layering and mixing and effects you can make amazing orchestral sounds with most libraries, even the stock logic ones

Learning some theory will make those Logic ones sound better. I don't mean like music theory, but more like theory on orchestration. For example, if you're playing like a three note chord with a patch that's like the entire violin section...

#1 You'll practically never in real life hear an orchestra so massive that three entire violin sections are playing 1 chord simultaneously
#2 You should really make sure you aren't going outside of the natural range of the instruments despite the plug-in letting you
#3 Most instruments in an orchestra are duophonic at best and chords are comprised across either multiple people playing the same instrument (so a solo patch would better) or they are spread across multiple instruments (ie Violin playing a C, cello playing d#, viola playing G).

I'm not saying these things will turn a bad library good but you can get more mileage out of any library if you read up some little things about how orchestration works.

Back