stutter effect?

E

empirestate

Ok heres a simple question that hopefully get a simple answer from some of u advanced FL and software producers.

How the heck can I make my drums stutter when I want them too? I'mnot talking about a snare roll either. I talking about kicks actually...U know how in most hiphop songs today they have those "punchy stutter kicks"? The best example I can give u is Timbo...he did it on Beep Me 911...and almost every song since then?
I would be grateful if someone could show(us)me how to do it perhaps make a FL file available or a waveform so it can be dissected...

thanks

It kinda sucks when someone such as myslef posts a valid question and it gets not a single reply yet their are a bunch of views. Then u have posts like "how can I sound like Dre,Kanye,or_________ gets a a zillion???!!?!

Yeah i am trying to understand this request. Do you know any other songs that have this type of sound in them?
Don't give up on everyone here son:)

I dont know the effect as I havent heard it and dont really know if I understood it. I think you are not talking about flam? The only other 2 things that spring to mind would be a granulized effect on certain drum hits, which kinda makes them stutter, or a slapback delay of about 30 milliseconds and a short decay time?

Generally a stutter effect like what I think you're talking about is achieved simply by quickly repeating the kick, but maybe cut off the end of each sample except the last.

If you're talking about real stutter edits, like BT's specialty, you'll be doing a lot more work.

"Then u have posts like "how can I sound like Dre,Kanye,or_________ gets a a zillion???!!?!"
------Maybe that's because they're so easily reproduced! If you hear it on mtv, it's been dumbed to the common denominator. Look at who it's directed at, 12-18 year olds....

Dev Jon said:
Generally a stutter effect like what I think you're talking about is achieved simply by quickly repeating the kick, but maybe cut off the end of each sample except the last.

If you're talking about real stutter edits, like BT's specialty, you'll be doing a lot more work.

"Then u have posts like "how can I sound like Dre,Kanye,or_________ gets a a zillion???!!?!"
------Maybe that's because they're so easily reproduced! If you hear it on mtv, it's been dumbed to the common denominator. Look at who it's directed at, 12-18 year olds....

thank u for replying I thought I made it clear in my post waht I was asking for,hence the Timberland reference...I don't watch MTV :( ??

try the supatrigga plugin.
turn everything to 0, then stick the repeat to on, the play with how many slices.

james holden uses a very similar effect - kind of holds a drum (stuters it) till he realses it. pretty wicke d- wicked for playing out live in ableton too

You can also create loop points on a drum sample or any sample on the location that you want to loop or "stutter". Set the sustain to a high value, play with the envelope, and hold the key down for as long as you want the sample to repeat.

BT's stutterin is sick. I think it got popularized/developed in the early 90s DC house scene (random factoid of tha day).

Does anyone know of a way to do it without spending 3 hours behind a computer?

(p.s. this post reminds me of "2 Phat C*unts- Ride". BT and Deep Dish. Phat classic track thur.)

dunno use the chop functions combined with altering the velocities in the piano roll if that don't cut it u could always just do up a sample and then load it up in the granulizer and make it stut-stutter

1)On the piano roll draw out a long kick (like 4 bars)- highlight this note
2) on the top left of the piano roll window click the button that looks like piano keys(a menue will drop down)
3) Click tools -> Chop
4)turn the duration nob left.

Now your note will be chopped into a bunch of smaller notes. you can erase some of them copy and past them... whatever.
The farther you turn the duration nob the more the note gets chopped

I tend to use REX files for samples. Chop the sample up into bits (even or uneven) possibly on syllables as this gives a strong effect on vocals. This way you can trigger the syllables in any order you like. Watch out for the plosives though on vocal samples, or you'll probably end up clipping. Some compression/limiting would probably come in handy here.

You can use piano roll also as somebody already said.

You can also mess on with an ADSR envelope to alter the general sound of a sample.

Most sampling programs out there have variables on the start and end time to be played back within a sample. You can trigger sample slices in any order you want as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if this is what you were looking to do but here's a quick sample I made of the effect I think your lookin to do:

I used the Granulizer in FL + a couple of effects. I actually never tried doing this before and I'm sure a lot better results are possible.

Back