Stuck making Loops

DJ Boxcutta

I am triying to make some beats for a couple of months now but i'm stuck making loops...can someone give me advice on how to progress in making real beats instead of makin loops..

Thanks

if you feel that your beats are too repetitve i would recommend pasting your main pattern and switching up the last couple of notes.

example: da-da-da-da-da + da-da-di-da-da

add a new instrument in at every 4 bars.

switch up your drums by cutting out a kick or snare here n there.

sound effects that lead into the hook.

add an instrument or 2 and some percussion or stacked another snare/clap on top of the one you have to make the hook stand out and sound big.

listen to songs in your genre or style and see how they make their beats sound less "loopy" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitch shift everthing you have in the loop + 5 notes or 7 semitones. Make the regluar version and the +5 note version alternate every sixteen bars.

Throw all the midi into arpgeiators.

Copy the midi from the drums and paste it into a lead instrument.

Execute harsh hacks into the compostion and change them in arbitrary ways.

Most of these will usually sound decent. At the very least they will give you some ideas...

if you feel that your beats are too repetitve i would recommend pasting your main pattern and switching up the last couple of notes.

example: da-da-da-da-da + da-da-di-da-da

add a new instrument in at every 4 bars.

switch up your drums by cutting out a kick or snare here n there.

sound effects that lead into the hook.

add an instrument or 2 and some percussion or stacked another snare/clap on top of the one you have to make the hook stand out and sound big.

listen to songs in your genre or style and see how they make their beats sound less "loopy" lol

Sound advice right here. Pun intended. Loops are cool.....maybe even just sample the instrument loops, chop them up, then change up the patterns by triggering them mpc style. Pitching and filtering the instruments and or drums at intervals adds a nice little break down too.

Thanks for the advice guys!.It was a good idea to switch up the drums i did this after evey two bars and also adding some strings. It's not quite there yet but it is an improvement. Now I can work on my other loops/beats....I've got tons of them unfinished ;)

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

whats wrong with loops i could listen to a good loop all day.
but otherwise what he said ^^

Nothing wrong with nice loops but even the best loops get on my nerves after a while one of my faverite loops is from the Neptunes... superthug.

Back