a story about noise

idk Probly

i used to work at a restaurant that was closed on Mondays. i had the key, so i would go there and read the paper sometimes while they were closed. one day i stood at the end of the bar, reading the newspaper. The ice machine, the flat screen TV, the satellite receiver, internet router etc. were all in the corner next to me. While i was reading, i started hearing the most cutting edge electronic music that seemed to be coming from the apartment upstairs. Really amazing stuff, and it went on for 15-20 minutes, but i found it odd because i knew the tenant was a 68 year old drunk who would never listen to music that didn't have guitars in it. But what i like to think happened is that my brain, bored with the newspaper, was taking all the noise coming from all the electronics next to me and reorganizing it into music, without me telling it to. i like this theory because it brings me satisfaction, sort of like training your dog to bring you the paper. ;)

Last edited:
so kinda like jim morrison and how he saw himself playing shows/becoming famous/ect in a dream? dont quote me on that haha, he also once said music will be made on computers.. something along those lines

pree neat lil story i must say:)

yeah but the problem that you have is organising what you heard in your imagination and getting into a format that can be shared and refered back to by yourself... otherwise that cutting edge music is just a useless fantasy... or maybe the drunk put something on by accident...

oh i agree. it can be hard to translate what you hear in your head into a real composition. but i think it has value, IF i was right about the source of it, only because it demonstrates that if you spend enough years organizing noises into music, it's possible that your brain can start to do it without any conscious effort on your part.

yeah sure... which brings us to the question, what is the of the source of inspiration.. ?

when I worked in a car factory i used to hear so many beats and rythms... but at the time didnt really have the skills to express what i had heard/imagined

learning theory, learning to play, learning production etc allows us to translate/express our thoughts...

maybe you could collaborate with the drunk...

Back