Starting note of scale

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
When creating a melody do you have to start with the root note? Like say your in C Maj do you have to start with a C or could your first note be a D for some reason when I try to make a melody or counter melody unless its very short 2-3 notes and it doesnt start on the root note it doesnt sound complete or doesnt sound right for some reason.

You dont have to start with the root note. You can start on any key. That's called playing in different modes.

If it sounds "off" its just cause your not use to it. Gotta adapt to the new colors. Just keep playing with it.

I usually like playing in the "Aeolian" mode, which means starting on the 6th note in the scale.

Last edited:
It is not about modal practice/playing in this instance

You can start your melody on any note and you can start your counter-melody on any note that is consonant or dissonant - the effect and perception comes back to how you treat consonance and dissonance in your writing

You can start a melody on any degree of the scale

- a common pickup beat start (beat 4 or the and-of-4)) is to begin on the dominant or leading tone and progress to the tonic e.g in C this would be G/C or B/C (/ indicates move up to) both of these assume that we start on chord V and proceed to chord I

- you can start on the 3rd and come down to the tonic, e.g. E\C; or move up to the tonic, e.g. E/C (this is a partial arpeggio of chord I)

- you can start on the 5th and move down through 3 to the tonic, e.g. G\E\C (this is a full arpeggio of chord I); or up by step to the tonic, e.g. G/A/B/C (this is a scale run)

- you can start on any note that matches your underlying chord at that point or is even a non-chord tone (greater tension) that moves to a chord tone

Writing counter melody lines means using the principles of harmony to select key points for harmonic convergence (notes from the chord for both parts) and allowing for harmonic divergence
- 1 note may be from the chord the other is a note a scale step away from a chord note,

- in some instances both notes will not be part of the chord

- this is normal melodic and counter-melodic writing practice

Back