Sound Design-Snares

SNoWMiZZLe

I've been working on designing snares a lot lately, mainly just to see how the bigger guys in the Electronic industry make theirs. Right now, I'm not engineering them, just working with a free hundred free samples to see how it's done. Here's a few examples of the sound I'm trying to get a similarity to:

KOAN Sound - Meanwhile, In The Future - YouTube the drop is at 1:16.

deadmau5 - Sofi Needs a Ladder - YouTube the drop is about 1 minute in.

Hear those fat, sort of "rounded" snares? I'm working to produce that general sound, and I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction. At the moment, I'm layering a kick (for lots of punch), and a 909 snare with some extended distortion to keep it from sounding like that mainstream crap. It's close to that sound, but their drums seem more fat and "round" if that makes any sense. Is it some kind of processing that they are using or what?

909 toms pitched to around 200hz can work.
909 top end or white noise.
claps can be good.

it's important to fade the samples correctly - i.e. if you want the initial smack of the tom have it fade out quickly - use fades to shape the samples together. EQ of each element for space can work too, and compression of each part.

then you should group them, and EQ the group and compress it together. transient shapers can work wonders to accentuate the transient.

I think it makes sense to make the snares on their own project, make a batch and render them out.

it can be worth experimenting with volume of each element, and the pitch of it - try pitching different parts up and down to get a good sound - then render the lot out with the variations, come back later and re-listen - you'll find the best sounding one easier after a break.

enveloping is vital to get the right part out of the samples. if you can find a naked snare from a tune you like it's worth sampling it and getting it into a project - you can then make a snare with a similar shape and frequency content - use voxengo span or similar to look at what freqs it hits at.

Back