sound design program

born2create

Hi everyone! I'm new here and wondered if anyone on this board has heard of or has attended the Vancouver Film School in British Columbia. I'm looking into sound design/audio engineering (mainly post-production) and this is the only school i have found that teaches what i'm looking for in a short span of time. It's a one year program that incorporates protools among other things and i wonder what everyone thinks? Should i go to school, spend the money to learn it fully and have the confidence to know what i'm doing along with building some connections? Or learn it hands on in a studio? The only problem is I live in Ontario and have been to various places and they don't take apprentices/interns. I'm finding it hard to get into those places without connections. I'm pretty 'green' and female so that might be one of the problems. Any advice or input would be great. And if anyone has attended that program i'd like to hear from you - Thanks

I would say from what Ive heard(this is what Ive heard) that is a waste of money that you could learn evrything they teach you by yourself and more . My suggestions s find someone who has been to a production and schoola dn ask them. Maybe ask on newbie forum

Go for it! I'm a student at Institute of Audio Research in NYC (and a female as well) and I can't tell you how beneficial it has been to go to this school. On top of learning very cool subjects in depth(such as acoustics, electronics in audio--i can make my own cords and preamps and such from that and that's only a couple of classes) you also get the opportunity to use pro equipment that you wouldn't get to by learning from someone who just produces out of their room...I for one can not afford a $40,000 Pro Tools system and I don't know anyone else who can either. All my teachers work in the industry and have for many years so they know about many different aspects of recording on top of being connected in the industry. I am also going into sound design and can't wait to start my semester where I study post production. Why don't you take a tour of the school you're considering and ask to talk to some of the teachers? Or see if they have any open houses where you can check out the facilities..I think most audio engineering schools have those. Best of luck!

gballin123 said:
I would say from what Ive heard(this is what Ive heard) that is a waste of money that you could learn evrything they teach you by yourself and more.

Unfortunately this just isn't true. You simply cannot teach yourself how to work on Pro gear at home. Unless you have a $100K studio and years to teach yourself, you'd be better off studying.

If you're young then going to work direct in a post production house is a good option working as a runner etc and work your way up. This has the advantage of allowing you to get access to the people who work in the industry as well as the equipment.

Good luck.

MM

I myself just finished a 1 years course in Sound Engineering & Music Technology. It was City & Guilds course and the first year are Parts 1 & 2.
I think that you definatly should go to a college. The amount of knowledge that i've gained in 1 year still amazes myself. We had lecturers that were/are professional producers/engineers. They gave us a load of advice (and insider tips too :D ) but they always told us that we have to do lots of research (hence, why i'm here).
I believe that if you do have a qualification in Sound then it will be a lot easier to get into a studio as an assistant.
Essentially, if you want to get work in a studio, you gotta show them that you got something more than the other 30 or applicants that apply for one place (maybe even become a Digidesign Certified Pro-Tools Operator).
There are so many options for you, just make sure you eat,sleep and drink music, someone will see your enthuasism and then who knows what could happen.

P.S: do you have any music making stuff at home?

Hi everyone thanks for all your replies. No Hylo i don't any music equipment at home. Are you talking like MIDI and protool stuff? The course i'm looking into has the digidesign certified protools operator certificate included into the course, plus you get demo reels when you leave as a portfolio to show prospective employers. So i think that would be a good start in setting me apart of others...maybe or not??? I'm mainly wanting to do more post production rather than recording studio production and this course seems to have what i'm looking for. If you have a minute check out the website for me at www.vfs.com and click on sound design and let me know what you think. Also, someone mentioned in there post about being young...does that matter? I'm 33 single and female is that a disadvantage for me in this industry?
Hope to hear back from you...:)

Back