Song Structure

AfroThunder

I wanna know what is the normal structure for a hiphop song. Does this sound right. Starting out with a 8 bar chorus.. or should i do an intro and then the chorus. Which sounds right?

really depends, there's not set guidelines. quite a common one would be intro/chorus/verse1/chorus/verse2/bridge/chorus x2/outro

Do what you feel sounds right. Some popular hip hop songs go right into a verse at the start, or the chorus-or they have a little intro before that... Or a long intro.

It's up to you.

Cuz ive tried puttin a 4bar intro and then an chorus in but it just dont sound rite so should i just do the chorus to begin the song?????

There are no rules for song structure - you can do what you want. Sometimes it helps to stay current though so listen to the songs you like that are doing well at the moment and find out how they are structured

It is good to have a feel for what sounds right or not and it sounds like you have this. If it doesn't sound right then try something else.

EP

As EP says, there are no right or wrong ways to do stuff.

But a good point to start when creating is to copy other artists. So analyse what they do in terms of structure, maybe even analyse a ship-load of stuff so that you have some variation ideas as well.

I have a good primer on song structure that I wrote for senior high school/1st/2nd year college students, you may want to look at, check it out through my sig links.

while i understand what your saying is there any examples you could give me of different variations of using an intro because the intro seems to have me confused... should i even use an intro or instead just start the song with da chorus??

no right or wrong way to do this.

Instrumental version of the chorus is one typical intro trick

or the verse or the bridge.

What will work depends on your overall song structure.

Maybe try messing around with non-rhythmical or non-tonal introductions. Just sounds, maybe a large swell (1-2 seconds) or something similar just to kick start the track right into a chorus.

depends on the vibe you want to give off...listen to some of your fav. jams...and decide which structure you want on your project

as everyone has stated. its all about how u feel. for ex. if u got a catchy hook nd u honestly think ppl wud love it then u wud want it at the begining. following a intro or a short verse. if u feel like the verse is wat graps the listener then go wif that. dont ever keep a format it ****s up creativity.
check my tape i start songs in a variety of ways
http://www.datpiff.com/LAMBO_Truly_Gifted_Vol1.m174245.html

Back