So, Who Here Uses MIDI Packs?

JC Biffro

Am I the only one who finds pure MIDI files in sample packs counter-productive? The amount of time you spend faffing looking through countless files for one you like, you could have created (in more often than not) a better one yourself lol.

Most of them are super similar as well.

I make my own to use. That way I don't have to reprogram a hi hat pattern each time I want to make a beat. I pick from a ton of different ones I made.

Technically all music is cookie cutter. Patterns repeated in a sequence to form something interesting to the ear.

Technically all music is cookie cutter. Patterns repeated in a sequence to form something interesting to the ear.

Hmmm, either you aren't exactly sure what a cookie cutter is, or you are confused as to the metaphorical use of the term. Music has nearly infinite amounts of variation. Any one song could have different instruments, harmonies, effects, mastering techniques done etc. especially in EDM where you could take one synth from let's say Massive, and then once it's in your DAW you could throw any number of midi effects on it- then you could even convert it into an audio sample and add any number of Audio effects on it. The number of variations is in the billions an billions. How then could "all music is cookie cutter" be even slightly possible? On a macro level a great number of songs share similar BPM, and chord progressions. But that's like saying a star and a Christmas tree cookie cutter are the same because they are pointy and a roughly similar size. To anyone with with an ear for music, picking out things that are unique or uncommon is an easy task. If you find this difficult maybe you should start listening to some new genres of music? ;P

Chord progressions. Cookie Cutter.
Drum Patterens and rudiments. Cookie Cutter.
Scales for melodies/improvisation. Cookie Cutter.
12 notes in the musical alphabet? Cookie cutter.

The cool part is you can learn all the cookie cutter shapes and try experimenting to bring your own twist to it. Many people do this by taking shapes from other musical styles and meshing them. Different instruments, different scales and different progressions help bring separation. Music Theory has a tendency of exposing the patterns in music for you to fit them in however you choose. The alphabet only has 26 letters, yet you can use those to say a lot. I'm sticking with Cookie Cutter. However you want to cut your cookies is fine.

Back