short loop samples

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
Hey guys I have a question I have a bunch of drum fills that are 1/2 bar 1 bar long and they are all different speeds and tempo but the thing is its hard to find the tempo of such a short clip because its like all straight 16th notes and there are no set kicks or snares to base the BPM off of so can someone help me out with tips or maybe how you add them in and get the timing down

If it's all straight 16th notes, it should be easy.
If it's half a bar, you know it's two beats.
Divide it's time by two to find how long one beat is, then divide 60 by how long one beat is to find the bpm.

um no

bpm = (number of beats x 60)/(time of sample)

some quick examples

4 beats lasting for 2.82 seconds = (4x60)/2.82 = 240/2.82 = 85bpm
2 beats lasting for 1.25 seconds = (2x60)/1.25 = 120/1.25 = 96bpm
3 beats lasting for 1.73 seconds = (3x60)/1.73 = 180/1.73 = 104bpm
1 beat lasting 1 second = (1x60)/1 = 60/1 = 60bpm

Last edited:
you can count beats though can't you?

count the beats

note the time of the sample

do the math

(number of beats x 60)/(time of sample)

perhaps but that division inside of the division is actually performed as a multiplication

in most schools you are taught to take those divisions within divisions and turn them into a simple multiplication instead

n/(x/y) is better represented as

((n / x) /y)

when you divide by a fraction (1/y) you can also multiply by its inverse y

and so we get n/x X y = (n X y)/x

which is usually simpler to calculate

Lol yes math is def not my strong suit but I was messing around and I have been playing the sample and adjusting the tempo till it loops perfectly I'm sure it will get me in trouble with some samples that are 1/3 a bar and odd chops but so far it is working

for odd number beat breaks and partial beat breaks you just adjust the above to reflect exactly how many beats are present

e.g.

1/3 of a 4/4 bar is 4/3 of a beat, using the formula (number of beats x 60 / time) that means we have (4/3) x 60/time = 4 x (60/3)/time = 4 x 20/time = 80/time

say it was 1 1/2 beats instead, using the formula we now get (3/2) x 60 / time (3/2 = 1 1/2 beats); reducing we get 3 x (60/2)/time = 3 x 30/time = 90/time

3 1/2 beats, (7/2) x 60/time = 7 x (60/2)/time = 7 x 30/time = 210/time

2 3/4 beats (i.e. 2 beats and 3 16ths), (11/4) x 60/time = 11 x (60/4)/time = 11 x 15/time = 125/time

always look for the simplest way to reduce the idea

Look there is many ways ...

the live way , which uses your ears and your perception of time, but this way need long practice and all that

and easier way , is to use the Grid in your session view in your DAW , add the sample , quantsize your grid to beats or steps or whatever , and get the tempo up and down until the Fill starts on a line and ends on a line

other easier way , you can just adjust it manually by Option > Time > set the loop to 1 bar or 2 or 1 beat or 2

and don't worry its an easy job overall , don't get frustrated , just practice + experiment

Last edited by a moderator:
Back