Sheet Music vs. MIDI Programming

K

Khabis

Heya. I just started taking composition lessons and my teacher told me that MIDI and keyboard composition are just crutches to lean on when it comes to actual composition. So what I'm wondering is how do you guys all come up with your songs? Sit at the computer or keyboard and fool around, just go to it on staff paper, or a combination of both? I've been doing entirely through MIDI up until now and there seem to be a lot more advantages of the staff paper approach...feedback!

Thanks,
Jake

If I'm writing dance productions, I'll sit at the computer with my controller keyboard in front of me and the QWERTY keyboard sitting firmly on top.

I'll use manuscript to scribble down melody lines, chord voicings, etc, or any material which is high in detail or is gonna have a specific design.

Personally I can't imagine just relying on Cubase or whatever, I'm a classical composer, so I'm used to having things in hardcopy in front of me, but that's just me.

For those who can't write notation will be used to the direct interaction of themselves and MIDI.

But for me, notation, if only a little is a must when I'm writing on the computer doing dance productions, it let's me write proper chord voicings instead of saying right ok, I'll play the chord of Gm7(9) followed by Dmaj7, for which there is numerous amounts of configurations this chord sequence could be voiced, each with their own flavour contributing to the overall tone of the music.

My first step is always to program a drum track, then...

I'll write a chord progression. Write a bassline. Write some additional rhythem parts. Then I write the melody if there's going to be one.

All of this is done with guitar or bass in hand. And I have at least a skeloton of an idea in my head before I sit to record/write.

But I write very little music down. Almost no actual notes. Just the scales, arpeggios, and techniques that I lean on. But my stuff is very groove oriented(funk, hip hop, r&b, and reggae instrumentals).

I do a little jazz and blues. I write more down for those.

Khabis said:
Heya. I just started taking composition lessons and my teacher told me that MIDI and keyboard composition are just crutches to lean on when it comes to actual composition.

I do not see any difference between MIDI programing and composing. They both follow the same logic of time, just in a different language (one in numbers and one in notation). I would say that if one is good at programming try learning how to write it in musical form.

I do find MIDI a crutch for actual playing though...

i come up with most of my ideas in my head first, so it doesn't really matter how i put it down on paper (or software or whatever)

Back