seriously how important is sound design to a producers arsenal?

dmajor100

diving into massive sound design seems pretty technical and a bit confusing at first but sure i just need hours on it and more training to understand the benefits for me in my music. There are some producers who think that sound design does not matter as long as your beats are awesome and to a artist it doesn't even matter which in some ways i do agree but listening to electronic music makes me think twice about this. Inspirational music like dub step,glitch hop and others give sound design justice for the most part. So at a crossroads of just trying to figure out how much of synthesis i wanna learn to benefit me as a hiphop/electronic producer to give me a great sound like my new influences glitch mob

just trust ur ear man....thats my best advice.... idk, ... i like messing with my synths but i get real frustated when i cant get a sound i want, ... people say u can make any sound with certain synths but i dont think so, or, they say all u need is one main synth, ..... idk man...sh!ts complicated...

Well, sound design is not a easy task. You need time to master a synthesizer to make sound that you are going for. That's why some people just buy presets from the professional sound designers.

diving into massive sound design seems pretty technical and a bit confusing at first but sure i just need hours on it and more training to understand the benefits for me in my music. There are some producers who think that sound design does not matter as long as your beats are awesome and to a artist it doesn't even matter which in some ways i do agree but listening to electronic music makes me think twice about this. Inspirational music like dub step,glitch hop and others give sound design justice for the most part. So at a crossroads of just trying to figure out how much of synthesis i wanna learn to benefit me as a hiphop/electronic producer to give me a great sound like my new influences glitch mob

It's not important and use when create your own signature sound but there are still other things to focus a producer I think sound selection is way more important than sound design, but I'm biased (sound design is tough for me).

I would say start of with one synth and read up on and really study synthesis like bandcoach advised.

Well i spent all last night studying my tutorials and for the most part i know what massive can do. I work on a patch for about 30 mins getting the 2 osc to a good tone and messingwith different filters and did a random lfo to trigger the filter and the osc's. I got a good sound but as soon as i had it i lost it just by tweaking one or two things so that time was lost but the sound i had was my kinda sound. I need to know if there are templates for massive that will instruct me how to munipulate certain sections for certain sounds i would wanna make ex pad,leads,bass,wobbles,screams. I think hrs on that will give me.more guidance and lead me to trying my own tweaks.

Your sound is more important than your ability to sound design. John Williams works mostly with standard orchestras, while Hans Zimmer spend hours on sound design and tweaking synths to perfection.

They took different routes but both got to the same destination of being renowned great composers.

----------------------

Just released: The Glass Absolute Quintent - http://www.soniczest.com/quintet
& eBow Mandolin - http://www.soniczest.com/ebow

Sound design is very important. When you have a sound that just does not fit right in the mix or you don't like the sound that a preset makes then you will want to tweak it. I like to use the presets in reason as a starting point. If I did not understand the interface of the the Thor, Subtractor or any of the other synths then I would be at the mercy of a preset. I think that if you really want to make music you should understand the program that you choose. Sound design is also important to the mix. Bottom line. Sound design will help set you apart from the Preset users in the industry.

Sound design is only as important of a factor as you make it in your music. There's billions of presets out there created by knowledgable sound designers at your disposal if that's the route you choose to go. It's like asking how important a real tambourine or banjo is in music. Some people would never have a need while it's the foundation of others entire sound.

What many non-professionals call mixing is really sound design. Sound design isn't limited to programming synths

You might want to consider buying professional preset packs and reverse engineering them. And i hate to be the guy that says "read the manual" but... Read the manual! The manual for Massive is not filled with overly technical jargon and walks you through using massive step by step. Also there are sites like Groove3 and Macprovideo that have pretty decent professional tut's on a whole bunch of popular synths.

Simply one of the most important aspects of music production if you want to be original and stand out from the crowd.

Sound design is like 90% of the work. After all, you will run out of original chord progressions and song structures before you run out of new sounds. The same progressions, tempos, structures have all been played out over and over, but with different sounds to them.

ultimately it is all sound design, given the following maxims

Architecture is Music in Space; Music is Architecture in Time

Simply one of the most important aspects of music production if you want to be original and stand out from the crowd.

Once upon a time this was true, like once upon a time it was true that you couldn't get the same sound out of a computer that you could get from hardware. Let's not lie to ourselves people. With the millions of presets in existence today, you can sound just as original and come with just as many fresh sounds from preset libraries as you can from tweaking and crafting.

I've been doing this since everything was multitracked on tape, so don't think I'm saying that because I can't design a sound, I'm saying that because I can mix and design well and still recognize neither of those are factors to consumers in todays market. Just because 1 producer can recognize your preset and post it in a producer forum for other producers to see doesn't mean your credibility is taken away from FANS.

Let's now pretend there wasn't an era when everyone was just using the same patches from workstation synths, or an era when everyone wanted that synth bass/lead Moog made famous but was emulated on everything from M20s to Fantoms. Let's pretend just recently their weren't like 3-5 super producers all working out of Logic using only the sounds that came with it.

Producers give the wrong advice because they pretend working harder is essential in a time when we have tools provided to make things easier.

You learn to create your own sounds because that's what you want to do, no different than you sample if that's what you want to do, add live instrumentation if that's what you want to do, ect. The consumer just wants a good finished product.

Consumers don't care how the song was created, you don't lose points over trivial nonsense like that with Fans/consumers, just other producers who after all the smoke clears, probably can't do any better with more work if their challenging the way you arrive at an AMAZING SONG. Now, when you can't arrive at an amazing song, that's when you backtrack and figure out what you need to work on.

Sound design is many things. It's a combination of sample selection, mixing, EQing and general volume control. It's important to select and choose samples that fit eachother, as this will make the final mix sound much tighter and clean.

Great sound design is essential for producers these days, as labels only look for the best of the best.

Sound design covers many areas within music production and is extremely important!

Sound design is not EQing and mixing. That's EQing and mixing lol. However, it can involve mixing, if, for example, you are layering sounds to come up with a single "sound".

Sound design refers to the design of literally the most discrete unit of sound of a particular track. This is why most people generally refer to sound design as being able to program your own synth. It's note independent, meaning your sound design of a particular track USUALLY does not change note to note.

Sound design is prob 40% - 80% of what makes your music original. Structure, progression, eqing, compression, and mastering accounts for the rest. It is much more than being able to use a synth proficiently. You need to be able to use filters, compression, sweeps of all kind, modulation, wave manipulation, etc. literally anything at your disposal to get a sound that satisfies you. Using presets isnt sound design, its the first step in sound design as it usually narrows your choice down to a certain genre/sound your looking for.

Very very few people are masters at sound design. Many great artists know nothing about sound design, but they do know what sounds good. To master sound design is to be able to hear a sound in your mind and replicate it in reality. Its insanely hard to do, and might not be worth the time if that sound you hear in your mind sucks to begin with.

The truest method of getting a unique sound is as follows:
a). Get a midi keyboard or guitar (midi guitars r sweet btw)
b). Get massive, zebra2, synleth, electrax, nexus, etc. or if your a gear guy get an audio interface
c). Get vst saturators, tapes, Sausage fattener, camel phat, fabfilter volcano/timeless other effects/compression/eq vsts
d). Try everything under the sun. I usually like to set up my keyboard so midi goes to 2 or more tracks, load up some vsts, compression, and eq on all, then just play around. Put oscillators on some, try lfo panning, phasers, etc. Just keep trying and eventually you will find sounds that you like.

This is the way about 80-90% of producers find the sounds they like and eventually begin to create their own style.

Ok back to the question at hand: Is sound design important?

Yes and no. If your a rapper, you probably couldnt care less about sound design.
If your a producer into replicating certain pop top 40 hits, then probably not as well. You can get away with presets, the cutoff filter, ASDR, and EQ for most pop. Pop is, in my opinion, all about the hook, the melodic progression, and the how well its mixed and mastered. Sound design is secondary, though once again, many exceptions do exist. Anything produced by Dr. Luke, has immense amount of sound design. His ability to distinguish a pop sound and produce the cleanest, most easily listenable version is amazing. For example, the bass/pad in Roar by Katy Perry is a sound design masterpiece, and has either 4 or 5 layers including a sine wave bass, bass guitar, and pads all layered and eqed in a way that makes it all sound like a single compact bass.

If your into Arca, and post modern hip-hop electronica, then sound design is where it's all at. Most of Arca's music is composed of 5-6 sounds that filtered and animated in a way I can't even begin to describe. If you're trying to make a unique sound, you should definitely check him out. (on a random side note, he's 24 doesnt promote himself much besides coming out with an EP every 2 years, but he was a co-producer on Yeezus, and that speaks for itself).

To someone like Kanye, sound design is a part, but not the whole. To him it's a means of distinguishing one's music, but he probably spends more time on composition and editing (Stronger apparently had over 20 different versions, though not nearly that many different leads).

Another good example of sound design is Skrillex. Skrillex's main distinguishing factor was the sound design of his vocals, and his frenetic, all over the place, composition. The actual sound design of his bass and leads, however, was bland. He probably spent a lot more time on composition rather than sound design.

Bassnectar is almost the opposite. He is all about sound design though his compositions are pretty straightforward, as are his chord progressions and sequences.

Last edited:
sound design in the large is mixing and eq - why else do we pay people to design the audio for theater and film?

you are arguing for sound design in the small; the individual sounds

expand your horizons and explore what the audio/sound industry believes the field encompasses

Back