Scales and keys....

D

DaKillaB

hey whats up,

I've been trying to figure this out for the last couple of days, I looked around here and on google but still couldn't find an answer that made sense to me...

i was wondering what it means when someone says a song is in the key of c ...

is that different from saying the song is using the c major scale?

and also,

when you sit down to come up with a melody, is it possible to use notes that are in multiple scales? so one chord is in the c major scale and another in maybe f major scale...

any clarification is appreciated...

thanks

answer is very simple.

C scales is C D E F G A B C

there are code progressions patterns ...

if i use 1,4 ,5 chord progression ...ur first chord will be c major chord and u can make a melody
with the Cmajor scale

then u move to 4 the key of the scale /..which is F minor and chord and play a melody with the F minor scale

then move to 5th key of the scale which is G , press the G major chord and play a melody with the Gmajor scales

always remember on any scale

1,3,5 notes are majors
2,4 keys minor

c and c major are the same. All scales drived orinally from major scales, but they wernt called major just c or e etc.

Its when the key is not a major that you stipulate what it is. C minor or e minor natural etc.

answer is very simple.

C scales is C D E F G A B C

there are code progressions patterns ...

if i use 1,4 ,5 chord progression ...ur first chord will be c major chord and u can make a melody
with the Cmajor scale

then u move to 4 the key of the scale /..which is F minor and chord and play a melody with the F minor scale

then move to 5th key of the scale which is G , press the G major chord and play a melody with the Gmajor scales

always remember on any scale

1,3,5 notes are majors
2,4 keys minor

????
7char

The 4 chord in the key of C Major is F Major guys...

Just keep in mind that a song could be in the key of C and use chords that are "non-diatonic"...which means that they are not neccessarily in the key of C, but that doesnt change the fact that the song is in the key of C. You won't see this alot in mainstream music, but for the Soul, RNB, Gospel kind of songs it happens alot. Its a more advanced, and vital style of playing.

---------- Post added at 04:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Also yeah, its very possible to use notes that are not in the scale...thats what you hear in most Jazz stuff...you just gotta use your ear, and know what you are doing to some extent.

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 AM ----------

When I make melodies, I rarely worry about scales or what key I am in, I just play and go by my ear.

Keys and scales are the same thing.

As for songs you can definitely deviate from the key of the song and that's also something you should do, it gives the song color.

I wouldn't recommend doing it too much though.

The notes wouldn't really be considered another scale though, it's either in the scale you're using or not. What I'm saying is a scale really goes on forever if you just keep repeating that same pattern of intervals.

Some songs however do change scales during, but I don't think that's a very popular thing and I doubt many songs consist of more than 2 scales.

Keys and scales are the same thing.

As for songs you can definitely deviate from the key of the song and that's also something you should do, it gives the song color.

I wouldn't recommend doing it too much though.

The notes wouldn't really be considered another scale though, it's either in the scale you're using or not. What I'm saying is a scale really goes on forever if you just keep repeating that same pattern of intervals.

Some songs however do change scales during, but I don't think that's a very popular thing and I doubt many songs consist of more than 2 scales.

There are 12 keys, but more scales.

When I say I play in the key of C, its taken as C major...But really I could be playing the in key of C and in the maj/min pentatonic scale, blues scale, chromatic scale....etc

Any major scale uses the same series of tones and semitones. the order is tone, tone, semitome, tone, tone, tone, semitone, ascending. If a piece of music uses this scale, traditionally it is said to be in a major key, although you can have a melody that uses this scale and harmonise it any way you like (that means putting chords to it).

A semitone is the smallest common distance between two notes. E to F, F to F#, and so on. A tone is twice that. E to F#. There are intervals smaller then a semitone, but we don´t use them in pop music very often because they scare people who grew up listening western scales their whole lives.

Back to keys. Each of the notes in that tone - semitone scale I told you before has a name and a function. The first note in the series is called the Tonic. It´s function is to hold everything together. It´s the note phrases want to end on to sound finished, and want to start on so that everything makes sense. If the tonic is a C, then we call the scale C major. The notes will be C D E F G A B C. If the Tonic is an E, then it´s E major and the notes are E F# G# A B C# D# E. The order of semitones and tones is the same, but the Tonic note is the same.

In Major scales, the other important notes are:
-note 5. It is called the Dominant. In C major it is a G. Think of it as the opposite of the Tonic, or as it´s twin. You can start and end phrases on this note as well as the tonic.
-note 7. The leading note. B. When you play this note, if you´re doing everything right, you´ll really really want to hear the tonic afterwards. Preferably by going up a semitone. Don´t play any note after this except the tonic.
-note 4. The subdominant. F. If you´re playing chords, don´t go from chord 5 to chord 4.

Hope this was usefull :3

Back