Saws, Leads, and sawpads (yes, tranceheads unite)

Northern_Fist

I'm trying to compose a bit of trance, and FLStudio 4.0 has little to offer my melodic compositions. I'm looking for some affordable saws, leads, or sawpads that sound decent. I'm open to anything from VST, to soundfonts to acquire a good sound. I've already been using the Superwave P8 quite extensively, and can't seem to get a newwer, better saw-lead. I also experimented with the Polybit VST instrument and found it to be mostly crap.

For my synth parts in FL, I rely exclusively on Superwave P8 and Synth1 (Also free -- A must-download for the low-budget FL user).

These two synths can both produce some mean leads once you know how to use them.

Superwave and Synth1 should, together, be all you need in the way of freebie synths, but you could supplement those, if you like, with Triangle II and FreeAlpha (Both also free). Pick one you like and work up your skills with it.

Evidence that these synths are capable of some big leads:

The Superwave is the easier of the two to use, and can produce some great bread-and-butter sounds, but nothing too interesting. Synth1 is harder to use, but can create some far out leads, basses, and FX, though sometimes it has aliasing problems that muddy up its output.

All that being said, it's pretty easy to make the classic JP-80x0 supersaw sound with Superwave. Here's how:

-Create a new Superwave channel
-Set both oscillators to be sawtooth waves.
-Change both oscillators modes to Superwave
-Push each filter's resonance about 2/3 the way up.
-Pan one oscillator all the way to the left, and the other all the way to the right.

Bam! Instant big saw lead.

-Create a new Synth1 channel
-Set the attack/release on each envelope to zero. Set the sustains to max.
-Set the filter cutoff frequency to its maximum.
-Raise the flanger depth to 96
-Toggle Mono mode.
-Toggle Unison mode.

Bam again!

On another note, if you're in the market for free effects to complement those provided by FL, you might also want to check out:

Smartelectronix's Ambience
Voxengo's TubeAmp
Elemental Audio's Inspector
Kjaerhus Audio's effects packs
MDA's effects packs

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks for your replies. I'm messing around with the Synth1, and am impressed! I made a new saw lead within the first 5 minutes. Thanks for the pointer. With the Superwave I already made a saw-lead extremely similar to the one you described, however, I applied some different filter effects to it that didn't really help much.

Hmm... I think that if I could just get some more punch in the Superwave's "Krafty Lead", I could emulate a cool "goa" trance melody I heard once.

I'll be sure to check that website for those links.

rgcaudio z3ta+ vsti is full of cheesy preset sounds for trance. A must for any darude and for those who are after a little harder trance/old skool rave sounds aswell.

I wouldn't refer to them as "cheesy" -- There's some potential for sounds both cheesy or otherwise.

However, it costs $150, and the issue at hand was free synths :-).

However, I agree that z3ta+ is a quality synth.

Though I don't do trance (or any terribly similar style for that matter), I usually find Ugo Texture as a good backup to some of my more melodic tracks. It's free and has lots of capabilities once you know how to use it. I also have a nice collection of string synths that I use often to make pads, ensembles, solos and whatnot when I don't feel like messing with soundfonts. All freebies too.

Back