Sampling Secret

I

IllestNoize

what's up errybody. i'm somewhat new to the board (i read it a lot, but new to posting). it may have been mentioned already, but the Boss SP 202 or 303 both have real grimy sounds. Sampling into it first then transferring to MPC or software is beautiful.......

Peace

can someone please explain to me why they want thier samples to be grimey?
I still to this day dont understand it.

because my favorite records in the early-mid 90's were Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Kool G Rap, Pete Rock and Cl Smooth, etc. and they all used the grimy, dirty samples. my favorite kind of hip-hop is the grimy, as opposed to synth-heavy music.....

IllestNoize said:
because my favorite records in the early-mid 90's were Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Kool G Rap, Pete Rock and Cl Smooth, etc. and they all used the grimy, dirty samples. my favorite kind of hip-hop is the grimy, as opposed to synth-heavy music.....

What up Chitown. I'm with you on that.

I see we got some Chicago famo up in here. Any hip hop track created using synth has to be created in a way where it's mixed up with other sounds. If it stands out then people will think the tracks is throw back...

Rep'n the Chi Town Southside 47th & Ingleside

Representin' 77th and South Shore....Yeah, synths sometimes are cool, but I like to make most of my tracks w/ just the samples. I'll take samples from like 3 or 4 different sources and piece them together to sound like a loop. Holla....

wha!!!! your name bro. whaaa!!!...

*screams in shear agony*

There are a number of reasons for wanting a 'grimy sound'..

1. That early nineties SP1200 sound (Pete Rock etc.)at 22khz (lower sample rate)has been very influential, and the SP has been said to 'sound like vinyl' which is what a lot of producers are after..'graininess' and some vinyl static also gives: a)A natural ambience and reverb to the samples you are using and b)makes it sound more 'analogue'if you are using digital gear..and c)Can iron out drop outs wheresmaples have been edited..for example, some sampled vinyl static low in the mix behind a programmed beat makes it sound more natural..this is a classic Pete Rock / DJ Shadow technique.

2.'Graininess' gives your music that'DIY'sound...the roots of Hip Hop..

Dunks said:
There are a number of reasons for wanting a 'grimy sound'..

I just finished a song (ok, still need to tweak the knobs a bit, but the composition phase is complete), and the end of it needed something "extra". The end of the song, the last note hits, a wind chime sample, and just kind of hangs there, and it feels like someone forgot the punctuation, if you know what I mean. So I throw on a simulation of the run-out groove of a record, very low in the mix, and it just fills the space right.

Personally, unless I was going for an "effect", I probably wouldn't choose to add any more grime to my samples. There crap to begin with, they don't need any more help to sound crappier. =)

Hip Hop since the beggining's been grimy, im talking about real hip hop, street stuff, not this nu hip pop crap.

sometimes the grime can ride ontop of nice clear stuff, its all how you work it.

I agree tho, if you start with grime, you'll have a hard time un-griming it if you want to later on. Its always nicer to have it as an effect that you can remove if need be...

Tim

Back