RnB chords

There is no such thing as an RnB chord.

Just listen to music, and if you like the way something sounds, pick it out, and use it on your songs.

Moneybaggz said:
What are the best Rnb Chords? I only know Cm7
Try:

major & minor triads
major & minor 7ths
major 6ths
dominant 7ths & 9ths

MadTiger3000 said:
There is no such thing as an RnB chord.
Sure there is. Not that they're exclusive to r&b, but r&b tends to use certain types of chords.

MadTiger3000 said:
Just listen to music, and if you like the way something sounds, pick it out, and use it on your songs.
But it helps to get the knowledge behind it so you're not always working with trial & error.

Last edited:
I did some "neo-soul" stuff a while back, and if you listen to it, it's the voicings of the chords (as well as the extensions and alterations) that give it that phat, full sound. There are loads of voicings, rootless, 3-7, quartal, many more, hit up google, it's mostly experimenting though. Once you know what notes you want to play, find a good order. Although a good rule of thumb is to include the 3rd and 7th in your left hand, (the 5th doesn't do much, but provides more sound, so to speak), and then try adding extensions to spice it up in your right. To maj7th chords, adding 9ths, 13ths, or a flat5, usually works. For minor7th, try 9ths, and 11ths. For dominant 7ths, you can add the 9th, 11th, or 13th, as well as a flat5, sharp5, flat9, sharp9, or sharp11. All the above extensions and alterations do not alter the nature of the chords.

Also I use quartal voicings a lot for horns, for example, trumpet : Bb, alto sax: F, tenor sax: C, trombone: G. I think they sound good, you can use the same idea for strings. Just look at a chart for the circle of fifths and you can see where I get those from.

Lol...^ Do you think he'd understand all that if he didn't even know what chords to use? Your post just overcomplicated it lol.

Last edited:
i wouldn't agree that there is such thing as "Rnb Chords".I do some soul/funk/jazz myself and these chords you are talking about are oftenley
"borrowed" from jazz music plus i really can't say that i can hear plenty of chords in Rnb today.In most cases it's made out of drum loops and bass line loops without some complex harmonic background...

Soulboy, yeah I hear what you're saying. Well Moneybaggz try learning the major scale first. It's basically the distance between notes, if you just play from one C to the the one above, using only the white keys. So, Whole Jump[C->D](or Tone), Whole Jump[D->E], Half Jump(or Semitone)[E->F], W[F->G], W[G->A], W[A->B], H[B->C]. Then using that formula, write out the major scales for all the 12 keys, so starting on C, then C#, then D, etc. Practice playing these for a while, and learn how the notes sound in relation to each other. Then try learning the diatonic chords for each key from the scales. There are loads of sites on google, but here are two I like. http://www.musictheory.net/ and http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-chord-progressions.html.

Back