Richard D James' Sweet Sweet Sound.

blissbox

Okay, I apologize in advance if this is an imbecilic question. I hope someone can answer it. There are 2 songs on the album, "I care because you do", the first is "Icct Hedral" and "Start as you mean to go on".
There is a particular sound in both of these pieces that sound very similar. I find it hard to describe the sound but I will try my best. It's a very noisy, cringe-worthy sound, gritty sound. In "start as you mean to go on", it sounds like gated noise, and as though there is a filter opening and closing. If there is anyone at all who knows how something like that can be created, I would most certainly like to know how, it is just so beautiful! All I am almost certain about is that the sound is based on noise.

You're talking about the sound that's basically fulfilling the role of the snare, right? Pretty impossible to say what the actual source sound is, as it's so distorted - but I don't think it's just noise. Just heavy distortion (a lot of stuff starts to sound very similar after enough distortion) that's constantly being filtered. I'd say the easiest way to get into the ballpark would just be trying out different sounds as a "snare" and then feeding it through, well, distortion (try different ones) and a filter.

Thank you kindly for your response. An interesting one, at that. I will very much like to experiment with what you've outlined. I want to try it as soon as I get home :rolleyes: I so much want to create something like that myself.

Back