Reason is frustrating me.

russwasherejr

I try to make beats with stock sounds and it's just like nothing sounds good. What doesn't make sense to me is if I open up a drum in reason it's really low in sound, and if I open that same drum in FL studio, it's louder.

Do you guys use stock sounds at all? I'm thinking about switching over to FL studio. What's some good vsts to use?

you are being conned by the default limiter in the master channel in fl - it automatically boosts the level of anything you use in fl

as for the rest - stock sounds are neither good nor bad. Your music is what is probably lacking in terms of excitement - learn to make better music and your use of sounds will seem better straight way; learn to program your own sounds and even more so

I usually open reason with empty settings. I put a mixer in and then load up Redrum, etc. The beats just sound bland. I try to use the delay in reason but I don't like it. Advanced reverb is okay. I might start doing piano lessons because i've been stuck for quiete some time with melodys.

have to concur because if you are saying you add a mixer then add other stuff then you must be using 5 or 4 (6 and later all start with a mixer ready to go - the ssl emulation)

what don't you like about the delay (the red half rack unit?)? you can dial in accurate times rather than beat synching if you want and whilst you do not get to say exactly how many times the output gets fed back to the input you can control the amount of feedback. If you stack them so that you have the same delay feeding the same delay multiple times you can build your own tap delay unit especially if you use audio splitters to patch between each instance of the delay unit

i.e. you have some nifty tools for building unique effects if you do a little thinking, designing and then implementing

Reason takes some time to get used to. I use my own sounds from old sampled kits. I have also purchased some drum kits, but volume wise you can always run them through a Maximizer and a compressor. If you have Reason 7, you can use a Parallel channel. I have been doing this with my drums during a mix lately and I love it. Good Luck

I have reason 5. I use redrum drums and kong drums. They're just really really low imo. For sounds I usually use what reason has put together. I use the concert grand piano (the combinatior one) I usually use sounds that are already made as a combinator. Still my beats sound thin. Usually what I do is have 2-3 kicks, 2-3 snares, 1 bass synth or bass track, piano, violin, etc. And everything just sounds thin as hell.

Wow Russwash, I really felt your pain in these posts man lol. I started using reason a few years ago and felt the exact same way. And I still do really. But the program is what you make it, your sound can have the weakest sound or the most powerful depending on how you use the software. Start by watching youtube vids on beat making. Boyinaband is a GREAT channel. For learning cool concepts basic to advanced. In short keep practicing man, if you do it enough you'll get better, fast.

Reason all around is terrible. Horrible software. Horrible company in general. No VST support. The newer Reason messes up your ReWire. It's expensive. You can't use reason stock drum samples. The list goes on. Reason is a gutter program. Sometimes called Reasons, by the urban population. It's ass.

Reason is not bad at all, the only problem is: do you plain to rely a lot on Vsts? If yes then, my friend, it's time for you to switch to another d.a.w. , i had Reason 7 for six months until i realized i needed external Vsts and switched to FL Studio.
If not well, Reason is a very powerful machine and has good out of the box plugins (Thor, Kong, Scream4, the mastering suite) and a tons of dedicated expansions with great potential.
You have to master it, and the process may require a considerable amount of time and will, especially the wiring system, but if you do you can get Pro beats out of it without a little bit of shame.
I have two tracks on my SC made with Reason 7, check them out if you want to hear what it can do with a little effort and experience.

Last edited:
Reason all around is terrible. Horrible software. Horrible company in general. No VST support. The newer Reason messes up your ReWire. It's expensive. You can't use reason stock drum samples. The list goes on. Reason is a gutter program. Sometimes called Reasons, by the urban population. It's ass.

that is your opinion and it seems to be based on misinformation.

Reason is not bad at all, the only problem is: do you plain to rely a lot on Vsts? If yes then, my friend, it's time for you to switch to another d.a.w. , i had Reason 7 for six months until i realized i needed external Vsts and switched to FL Studio.
If not well, Reason is a very powerful machine and has good out of the box plugins (Thor, Kong, Scream4, the mastering suite) and a tons of dedicated expansions with great potential.
You have to master it, and the process may require a considerable amount of time and will, especially the wiring system, but if you do you can get Pro beats out of it without a little bit of shame.
I have two tracks on my SC made with Reason 7, check them out if you want to hear what it can do with a little effort and experience.

If you know what you are doing you can make use of the audio in/out features and the MIDI out features to control any hosted vst you want(stand-alone vst hosts do exist and allow you amazing scope to do this sort of connectivity and control)
- the issue with accessing VSTs is pretty much a thing of the past if you are creative in the way you use your toolset.
- RE's are meant to substitute for VSTs

i love reason man....its great for experimenting with stuff....my advice would be to try starting out learning how to use the combinator with spiders audio merger/splitter with that you can layer up your sounds running differenct sound devices to a merger then splitting it out across a 14 or 6 mixer... but with reason you gotta work your sounds.....if you search around, there are people making good refills as well... also look up parallel processing..

Back