QUICK TIP - BASSLINES FROM BASS DRUMS

D

DYEONE

EZ Everybody,
(HAPPY NEW YEAR)

I've been reading up today some tips on creating basslines and have found something quite interesting which never occured to me to try before.

Has anybody tried sampling a simple bass drum (with or without any effects), chopping off the start and end of the sound and looping the remainder so that a constant sound/tone is created.

Depending on the effects used on the sample, or what type of bass drum you sample the bass sound which is created is going to be variably different.

I've not tried this yet, but i will do when i get home.

If anybody else has done this, and found any succesfull tips and tricks please share your knowledge.

Rich.

Where have you been doing your research on bassline creation? I'd like to check some of that stuff out if you would be so willing to share.

/.v

QUICK TIP - SOURCE

Yeah no problem, go here;

http://www.spinwarp.com and also http://www.dnbproduction.com

Both sites are more aimed at drum and bass production techniques (which is right up my street), but the techniques used can obviously be tailored to suit any musical styles really.

I had a go at the technique i mentioned last night and for a first attempt i got some really impressive results.

As i said depending on the bass drum you sample the effect it creates will vary, but the beats i tried gave me some really low sub-bass, which when looped can give a nice underlying rumble (very useable).

Add a bit of LFO to give it a bit of a wobble and it just gets a hundred times better.

I'll try and find some other tips today, and when i do i'll post them up for everybody to share.

If anybody else has any tips like this please post them up, don't keep them a secret.

*Check my other post taken from the same site regarding sci-fi effects from vocal samples, very interesting....

Rich.

Hello Mate

Rich, try this: just find a good bass sound you like with a long release time and set your MIDI file drum track (from your RM1x...wink!) to it and see what happens.

If you listen to the newer D&B (I know you do), you can hear that the bass is being "triggered" with the kick drum. If you have a long release it will give you one long bass note that flucuates with the dynamics of the kick drum...so you get a cool whaaaaaa, whaaaa, wha, wha, whaaaaaa, whaaa.

Ooops, there goes a secret!

Another Tip

If you want to get that ripped apart sound ( r r r r r r r i i i i p p p p e e e d d d d ), you can do a similar effect with a delay unit set to high repeats and real low times. Try a setting of 60 milliseconds or less, and have the # of delays set to 8 or more. (Rich - easily done on the RM1x).

Back