Quick question, can someone help plz?(sound engineering)

PVT. PUSGUTS

Whats up FP. Hopefully someone on here can answer this question for me. See i just signed up for a sound engineering class, it just started a couple weeks ago so We havent done much at all really yet. A few days were canceled too, and thats why this question is difficult. Ya see I have to answer a question based on a 'lab abstract' . I read/listen to these lab abstracts and then I have to answer questions about them. Well the questions i have to answer about them are for every lab abstract. Alright well im doing my first lab abstract and I just cant see how this one question applies to this lab abstract. The first lab abstract is about 'estimating the frequency of sound(puretones and random noise)' and it goes to on give audio examples of how different signals sound. For example it lets me hear how a 100-HZ tone sounds and then lets me hear how an 10,000 hz tone sounds. Any how. Idk much about sound engineering but id say this chapter is pretty basic and elementary. And one of the questions i have to answer for it is 'How does the lab relate to the real world of the studio and live sound'...I dont know how to answer this!! This is the first chapter and it barely talks about anything, just "estimating the frequency of sound"......Im so desperate right now lol..PLEASE...help me out! How would you answer it??

*sigh*
thank you for reading i hope u can help!

Okayyyy....

Its mainly about tone judgement. Int the real world, especially working with hardware, you'll need to be able to guess where on your EQ you should be cutting without necessarily having a spectrum analyser to see.

You can go on about the various places in the world where you won't have the luxury of a computer screen but will have to approximate a frequency, such as while acoustically treating a room (when you usually have to figure out room modes (google it) and anomalies just by humming loudly).

The puretones are probably for two things, pitch reading and harmonic approximation. There were teachers at my old college that could tune guitars without measuring it against something, and could pitch by ear (eg hear an A out of the blue and tell you it was an A without checking), harmonic approximation is working out harmonies by ear, i.e being abole to sing a fifth harmony back to your session singer if she gets lost.

I'm just guessing really, i dont know the exact details of your course, but I hope it helps.

Wow thats amazing that you thought of that. lol. Thats good. I already turned in sum horseshit tho. But thanks for the input, definitely insightful

Back