A question about theory and it's purpose

Being one hundred percent honest I think I would have quit making music and gave up if I did not learn music theory. I make electronic music, specifically trance, and without the lessons I learned I know I would not be anywhere near to what I am today. Music theory taught me to think in ways I normally wouldn't. I'm not a fan of randomly pressing a key to get a sound or mashing things to make my melody. Heck, I don't even own a MIDI keyboard nor, can I play piano or have any wish to. It's a wonderful instrument but, if you know the theory there is no need to learn to play it if you don't desire to. I encourage you to increase your knowledge on music theory. Not to self promote but, I have some very well done music theory tutorials that I would greatly appreciate if you saw. I'm pretty certain they'll convince you to further your music theory lessons. I hope my piece of advice helped you out! You can view my tutorials at YouTube - ‪Chaîne de DJCosmicRift‬‏. ^^

You address others in the forum as "Darling" then?

When appropriate or to make a point - The phrase Darling grow up comes from one of Australia's elder comediennes and is pronounced more along the lines of Dahhhhhlinnnng, groooooow uuuuuuuup. I keep forgetting that we are international and therefore cannot assume that anyone has a sense of humour let alone understand mine. ;)

btw I am not referring to the self-proclaimed Dame Edna Everage

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

Being one hundred percent honest I think I would have quit making music and gave up if I did not learn music theory. I make electronic music, specifically trance, and without the lessons I learned I know I would not be anywhere near to what I am today. Music theory taught me to think in ways I normally wouldn't. I'm not a fan of randomly pressing a key to get a sound or mashing things to make my melody. Heck, I don't even own a MIDI keyboard nor, can I play piano or have any wish to. It's a wonderful instrument but, if you know the theory there is no need to learn to play it if you don't desire to. I encourage you to increase your knowledge on music theory. Not to self promote but, I have some very well done music theory tutorials that I would greatly appreciate if you saw. I'm pretty certain they'll convince you to further your music theory lessons. I hope my piece of advice helped you out! You can view my tutorials at YouTube - ‪Chaîne de DJCosmicRift‬‏. ^^

My dear cosmicRift,

how utterly fabulous of you to provide me with an opportunity to show that I am equal-oppurtunity person.

I was happy to see that you believe in the power of theory and that you also prefer to be keyboard-less for the most part. Do you find mouse entry as tiresome as I do at times and long for some other way to get the notes in or have you learnt that even more arcane skill of playing in real time on the computer keyboard?

Bancoach and Emmapeel, sitting in a tree...

keep the C note with your thumb, lift your index finger off the E, press the F with your middle finger and place your ring finger on the A...

Who plays a 1-3-5 chord with an index finger, not middle finger, do you have small hands? :D

Bancoach and Emmapeel, sitting in a tree...

You might think that (but I know it is not true) I can only say, that is how we perceived it as children, didn't we - the more two people fought in public the more we were certain they were together in private.

Who plays a 1-3-5 chord with an index finger, not middle finger, do you have small hands? :D

Little kids do and those who obviously haven't had any keyboard lessons

Back