Question about instruments together

dominic94

Hello, right now I just finished my counterpoint studies. I am still practicing it everyday, but now I am starting to write my own compositions. But I got question about putting instruments together. I know there is a principles of orchestration studies, but I do not want to study it right now, it covers a lot of information about orchestras and their instruments(maybe I will study it later). But now I want to know is there any sources, some short, quick information about putting instruments together. For example I want to put the same top melody in same register for 2 or 3 different instruments, is it possible ? And also for example I want to write accompany for this melody, but I want that two different instruments would play this accompany chords in different or same octaves ( maybe one instrument with less notes and etc.). Basically right now I am having those similar questions.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
the answers to your questions are yes you can do that exactly as you describe

the two main principles of orchestration are

• tone colour blending, and
  • octave placement of individual lines and notes

the first is a lifelong study for most musicians and composers as there is always something new to try

the second is as much about the distribution of the harmonic series as it is about anything else

fundamentally at this stage of the game you should consider that your smallest interval between notes in the bass clef is a 4th if the part is below the F on the 4th line. Above that 3rds and 2nds are fair game

blending instruments so that they play in octaves or unison is different to the above advice, insofar as that you can double any line at the octave or unison as long as the other instrument can play the whole line

ask more questions if you want more detail

and don't be afraid to start reading a little about orchestration and arranging

Last edited:
in response to a pm

arranging fundamentals are as follows (whether orchestral or marhcing band or jazz band or pop song ensemble)

melody~ the main melodic idea
counter-melody ~ a contrasting melodic idea
harmonic drive ~ chordal movement and progression
rhythmic impetus ~ percussion and bass (although it also serves in the harmonic drive and melodic sections as well)

some books to start you off (on-line to boot)

Jazz Arranging Online - by Prof. Chuck Israels ~ the book itself comes a with a multi-media cd that includes all of the examples on the site and more - uses the garritan Jazz and big Band Library for all musical examples

Principles of Orchestration On-line - the book is by Rimsky-Korsakov but the on-line version includes examples using the Garritan Orchestral libraries. there is another version of this book with midi files of all the examples, all of which come from Rimsky-Korsakov's extensive orchestral output

Back