Question about the changing the key of samples..

matt42 said:
@Don:
Man I was willing to take you seriously, but you clearly don't know what your talking about. I've seen PAZ frequency in action. If you think you can use that to manipulate individual harmonics your either out of your mind or some kind of magician - It only has up 68 frequency bands!!!!

Well, not only that, but PAZ frequency is simply a spectrum analyzer... it does absolutely nothing to your sound... it has no functions that manipulate sound whatsoever... and a spectrum analyzer would not be of much use anyway in relation to anything we are talking about here.

Don Kartel Ent! said:
upload it today please!

OK, so.....

...I recorded a short piece with a bunch of instruments all playing on the same chord... very simple... it is like 3 seconds long...

http://www.soundclick.com/pitchthis

There are 2 files uploaded but they are both the same.

go ahead and change the individual pitches within the chords and scales, then post is back.

Hello your must got loss somewhere or just need a person to comprehend for you man. What I said is In order to find out thr exact fundamental frequency of a sound you will need to visually see a chart of the frequency being played.
(PAZ FREQUENCY ANALYZER)

O.K

PIECE

Send me a single sample of 1 sound and I 'll change the pitch with ease from a major to a minor.

If you have any background you should knew not to upload that.

Don Kartel Ent! said:
Send me a single sample of 1 sound and I 'll change the pitch with ease from a major to a minor.

If you have any background you should knew not to upload that.

That was the whole point... you were saying you could change a sample from major to minor... that means multiple notes need to be separated to change the chord.

If it is just one note, then it cannot be major or minor... then it is just one single tone

If you change that, you would just be changing the pitch of one note.

What are you trying to say? are you trying to say you can take a single piano note sample and change the pitch?

Well, not only that, but PAZ frequency is simply a spectrum analyzer... it does absolutely nothing to your sound...
I know! I was hoping he would dig himself a bit deeper, that was going to be the punchline. lol

Ok Don, so you tried to BS with the PAZ thing. So what exactly is your harmonic manipulation machine??

dvyce said:

That was the whole point... you were saying you could change a sample from major to minor... that means multiple notes need to be separated to change the chord.

If it is just one note, then it cannot be major or minor... then it is just one single tone

If you change that, you would just be changing the pitch of one note.

What are you trying to say? are you trying to say you can take a single piano note sample and change the pitch?

...goddammit you beat me to it!!! :mad:

:D

Listen the way I understood it was newbian had to different samples . Newbian wanted to change one sample which was a e major to match another sample that was e minor.Thats the post. Now you sent me a sample with like 3 different instruments playing simo. Theres no way I change Isolate each instrument And change the pitch. Thats not what was contested. What was contested as far my understanding was was I take one sample ( Which I thought was a sample of one instrument playing) and change it from a e-major to an e-minor. Did I understand wrong? Or did you understand wrong?

(lets say i make a beat in Dmaj...is it possible that i can take a sample and change the key of the sample to Dmaj so that it will be in key with my beat?..i use reason if that helps any)

(to further examine the question (since i wonder the same thing) can i get a particular sample and layer it over the Dmaj beat and adjust the pitch of the sample until it sounds like it's "in key" judging by what sounds best? or does it have to be a very accurate pitch adjustment that is calculated somehow)

Don Kartel Ent! said:
Listen the way I understood it was newbian had to different samples . Newbian wanted to change one sample which was a e major to match another sample that was e minor.Thats the post. Now you sent me a sample with like 3 different instruments playing simo. Theres no way I change Isolate each instrument And change the pitch. Thats not what was contested. What was contested as far my understanding was was I take one sample ( Which I thought was a sample of one instrument playing) and change it from a e-major to an e-minor. Did I understand wrong? Or did you understand wrong?

You "understood wrong"... I specifically said:

dvyce said:
I can post a sample of some instruments playing a major chord together and you can try to pitch that sample to sound like it is playing a minor chord (for example, you will change the E major sample to E minor)... then you can post it back for everyone to hear and you can explain how you did it.

then you said:

Don Kartel Ent! said:
upload it today please!

OK... so you want a sample of 1 instrument playing? (even though it should not matter whether it is one instrument or 100 instruments... the note values are constant either way... an A is always an A, a B is always a B, a C is always a C, etc, etc)

...anyway, I uploaded another sample to soundclick

http://www.soundclick.com/pitchthis

the new sample (called "Make It Minor") is 1 instrument strumming a major chord 4 times... turn that sample into one with those same strums being minor chords in the same key.

Don Kartel Ent! said:
(lets say i make a beat in Dmaj...is it possible that i can take a sample and change the key of the sample to Dmaj so that it will be in key with my beat?..i use reason if that helps any)

(to further examine the question (since i wonder the same thing) can i get a particular sample and layer it over the Dmaj beat and adjust the pitch of the sample until it sounds like it's "in key" judging by what sounds best? or does it have to be a very accurate pitch adjustment that is calculated somehow)

I don't understand why you are posting this...

Are you posting this to somehow show that he was talking about a "single instrument sample"? Because I don't see how that shows anything about the number of instruments playing.

A sample can be anything... for instance, Notorious BIG with the sample of donna Summer "I'm Coming Out"... that is a sample that contains the entire band... multiple instruments. there are thousands, if not millions, of examples just like that.

....and i look forward to hearing what you can do with the sample, by the way... and I am being totally serious.

...I hope you can prove me wrong. :)

even though changing a maj chord sample into a minor chord may be nessessary at some point i never said in my original post that i wanted to do that
but now that its mentioned this should be interesting......

Last edited:
thenewbian said:
even though changing a maj chord sample into a minor chord may be nessessary at some point i never said in my original post that i wanted to do that

Just curious...

when you ask:

thenewbian said:
lets say i make a beat in Dmaj...is it possible that i can take a sample and change the key of the sample to Dmaj so that it will be in key with my beat?

it is implied that you are dealing with a sample that is multiple simultaneous notes... not necessarily a "chord" but you could be talking about any segment of music where more than 1 note is playing at the same time (the concept is exactly the same in either situation.)

The reason this is implied is because if you were talking about a single note, then it would not matter if your in Dmaj or min or whatever. There is no "major" or "minor" with single notes.

If you are asking about making a single note sample fit into your beat, then it is simple... just pitch the note to one that fits the track. There is no trick there.

Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do?

...and, just to clarify... whether you are talking about a chord, or a section from a record where a couple of instruments are playing, or a piano playing a melody with notes that sustain over eachother-- it is all the same concept... you are trying to change the intervals of overlapping notes.

(You will not be able to do this, by the way)

So, to recap... if you want to transpose single notes to fit into your track... you absolutely do not need a spectrum analyzer... in fact, a spectrum ananyzer (like PAZ Frequency) will be pretty useless to you for finding pitches. Spectrum analyzers really just show you an overall frequency distribution and even a single note contains a huge amount of frequencies making up that note.

You also do not need charts with how many Hz equals a particular note value. You make fine-tuning changes by ear, and any changes in pitch from note to note are laid out for you in your sampler or in your pitching software... they all allow you to change pitch in semitone increments (i.e., "note by note")

Im talking about several notes being played at once..so i havent tried this yet but im just trying to get the knoladge down first...so lets say its a sample that contains strings,guitars and pianos and its playing a chord..thats what i mean

thenewbian said:
Im talking about several notes being played at once..so i havent tried this yet but im just trying to get the knoladge down first...so lets say its a sample that contains strings,guitars and pianos and its playing a chord..thats what i mean

Right, if the sample containing strings, piano's and guitars is in a "major" key just like the beat you made, which you said is in "D maj", then you just pitch it up or down to fit.... like i explained in my first post in this thread.

BUT, if your sample is in something other than a "major" key, then, in order to make it fit with your song you will need to change it from whatever the sample is (for example, "minor") to "major".

...and, like I said, you will not be able to do that. That is not how it works.

Think of it this way: You have a picture of Beyoncé wearing a dress on her album cover. You can't then scan that picture into your computer and run it through a Photoshop plugin that will remove her clothes so you can see her naked. Trying to change the individual overlapping notes in a sample is very much like that example.

thenewbian said:

Actually, whether you realize it or not, you did ask that in your original post.

:)

Back