Quantizing

j-xile

www.j-xile.com
Hey FP, just curious what the consensus is on quantizing your beats. I quantize everything now, and am thinking that it might be giving me that computery sound I don't really want. Other than that my beats are on point, I'm just looking for ways to better them. Thanks!

leaving the snare or the hi hat or both not quantized will give u a more natural feel... i tend to leave those alone.

da relic

I just really don't dig quantization TBH.

I pretty much look at it as three positions for any note:

Start of a beat, end of a beat or in between.

Unless something is CLEARLY off beat when I listen back, I don't bother to quantize. Sometime I will quantize drums, and then throw them off a bit. My ear has grown to detect and despise the sonics of anything that has been "SNAPPED TO THE GRID" LOL.

For sampled boombap beats or oldschool...i leave the kicks not quatized that much...I give it a swing. The hihats - i dont quantize this at all. If I do, It would only be a tiny shift.

I quantize instruments n da kick bt not till im arranging n mixin everything else i let it b natural especially da hi hats

I hold fast to no particular rule, but quite often any percussive noises (drums, stabs, accents) I quantize, while melody phrasings I leave natural.

I Quantize everything to 1/32. That gives you "organized chaos" even when you want things "off time".

There's no right or wrong way to do things, and there's no set reasoning behind why anyone does music, but I gotta ask how many current songs have you guys heard on a commercial level that sound freehanded?

Even Live drums are "quantized" these days.

but I gotta ask how many current songs have you guys heard on a commercial level that sound freehanded?

Even Live drums are "quantized" these days.

if you're talking hip-hop...approximately 0%, but in other genres there are plenty of examples of freehanded music. (anything with live guitars/bass, vocals etc) My music is industrial rock which is kind of that merger of precise electronic sounds and imprecise live sounds...with a heavy dose of noise colors where necessary.

^^^Not just hip hop. RnB, Pop, even live Rock guitars and drums are ran through programs that align hits to tempo nowadays.

Not in all cases, but it's far from abnormal practice.

Think of all the "retakes" that used to be done because a snare was off by a few milliseconds. They created technologies to fix that, and now it's abused. Look at Elastique in Pro Tools for example.

Not saying any method is wrong, just surprised so many don't quantize.

But FYI, i've never quantized a vocal or guitar I've played over a track, I was only referencing digital sound modules/sequencers with quantizing capabilities. :cheers:

Last edited:
the album i'm currently working on has the orchestration of a hard rock band. literally everything that isn't audio is quantized - this means acoustic drums, electric bass, piano, synths, orchestral parts, the works. there's enough variation in the velocity and performance to make it sound human, especially with the unaligned guitars and vocals taken into account.

it really doesn't bother me, seeing as a decent group of musicians would be just as tight-knit anyway. check out any live james taylor dvd - his band is so on the money it sounds like a studio recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I usually snap everything to grid (1/4 beat) and if I want to jazz it up a bit I may play somethings on 1/3 beat. But hey, hats off to anybody that can compose w/o that though... and make it sound structured.

Thank you to uNDefineD for calling out the great James Taylor and the musicians he aligns himself with. The man may not go hard, but everything he puts out is smooth as silk.

I know this may make some producers gasp in shock:bigeyes:, but quantizing is not one of my top priorities when I make beats. Lol seriously. I do quantize as I go along ...sometimes...but I usually just CREATE CREATE CREATE and as long as it sounds good, I'm happy. I usually only quantize when something I've made sounds very obviously off beat and not in a creative way lool.

:) :p

People believe that by not quantinizing drum, you leave the drums with that more realistic feel, however, professional drummers aren't off, you won't hear them going off of beat, that's with or without a click track. Furthermore, if your doing pop, hip-hop, modern r or club u never want your drums to fall off beat.

^^^What he said.

I think people don't understand the different elements of sequencing, so they think purposely off timed hits can't be done in a quantized environment.

In the end, whatever works, but it disturbs me when folk purposely make drums go all over the place trying to recreate that "Dilla Sound" without recognizing there has to be organized chaos.

Quantizing is useful, but in moderation. It can end up taking away some of the humanness and nuance to performance. Of course, this depends on your genre and objective. If you're doing electro or whatever, you probably want it as cold and mechanical as possible.

Back