Pure kick sound

S

SonOfLilit

I want a loud, pure kick sound (something like that on "I don't wanna know" by mario winans).

How do I get/create it? It's not a good idea to sample it 'cause I think it's too pure to be a sample... so it'll have to be a synth...

Tips?

The only synthesized way to crearte a kick drum from a synthesizer is to create a pulse wave and use the attack and from the pulse attack you can then create mutliple copy paste techniques and create the body. But I'm sure that's not what you meant. Why don't you just use a clean acoustic kick sample and eq and compress it till it has the right texture. You can then layer this with another kick until you get the sound texture you want. Sometimes layering it with the attack of a clap or the tailend of a snare can give it some real body and feel, snappy.

Thank you.

Can you say more? (especially about layering...)

Yeah, of course... just - when and what to do? (what I mean what sounds... how do I know what samples will sound good layered?)

sounds that are too much alike will sound muddy if layered. it only works if you pick sounds that are different, for example, a fat, deep kick, and a sharp, tight kick.

Yep.
The formula is simple, understand frequencies and you'll understand what clashes and what sits in nicely, understand ADSR (attack, decay, sustain, release) and you'll understand what part of the sound needs to be adapted to compliment the additional leyer/s. But the most potent of all tools is your ears. Layer sounds and listen to how they come across, if something is too heavy on the attack, then adjust the attack, if there is not enough tail to the sounds, adjust the release and so on.Once you get the hang of things then you will instinctively know which sound will clash with another or which sound will compliment another.
If you're in the mood, read my tutorials on my site about synthesis. They will explain frequencies and ADSR much more in detail. Next week the tutorial is about filters. Another potent weapon to use in the sculpting of sounds.

If you know anyone with a Triton you can get that kick straight off there. That's a preset in the standard drum kit. If i had enough time on my hands i'd sample it and send it to you. I'm sure someone could.

Just fyi: Mario Winans uses ALOT of Triton presets. Hot producer but he doesn't do too much of is own sound designing.

Try e-phonic's drumatic - it's free and can create some excellent electro (808ish) kicks. Pisseasy to use too. http://www.e-phonic.com/vstplugins/drumatic.html

Normally I don't layer my kicks - this creates mud if the layers aren't eq'd right. Rather I'll make use of a synth's pitch envelope to get the initial 'snap' - you can get some gut-wrenching kicks this way. Just play with the envelopes...

Try making some kicks with rgc:Triangle II - it's got a pitch envelope, is also free, and will churn out some superb kicks if you give it some gentle loving care.

Thank you. Talking about the Triangle, how should I start? Noise or Sine? and what else?

Noise you would use simulate the rattling snares on a snare drum.

Start with a sine wave - the important part of the pitch envelope is the attack portion. Programme a v fast, high-pitch attack decaying quickly into a low pitch. Also play with the filter and amp envelopes...

It takes practice and patience, but you will get chest-slapping kicks this way. Experiment with other waveforms too.

Back