Programming builds, swooshes and creating drama

Samplecraze said:
Sure.
Alias, like I said a sampler , a tone generator and a tuner. The sampler can be software or hardware, software nowadays is better because it can actually import soundfonts and has multisave functions. The tone generator can be the TC Spark XL which has a generator built in but any synth that has oscillators is a tone generator and even easier Soundforge or similar editor has in their menu option(tools-synthesis) a synthesis engine that can create tones. In the case of Soundfonge, you can have pure waveform tones, a menu appears whereby you select whether you want a sine, saw, triangle etc...you then select the frequency ( get a chart, makes life easier, they are everywhere on the net-Google) then you select the length of the waveform, so 1 sec and then loop the waveform( sample), this should then be perfectly tuned and looped for use later when you want to programme the waveforms to create presets or instruments.Remember to create at least 10 waveforms for each preset so you have 2 waveforms on an octave for a 5 octave keyboard. Trust me, it takes no time at all once you get the hang of it. Soundforge also has an FM tone generator as well and this is quite cool because you can select eg: a sine with 4 operators(maximum on Soundforge) and configure the operators in any order and draw in the graph the attack. decay ,sustain and release of the waveform (ADSR). You can create countless possibilities and it has some presets of it's own you can use that can create horns, basses, leads etc...

Regarding licencing:

When a font is created for a manufacturer, they in turn own all the licences on that font, so they can , in effect, resell the font in any format they choose or package it any way they want. A font also has what we call a digital signature that is encoded into the font when we create it , this is done so as to avoid someone using a font that is distinctly yours or the manufacturers. A copyrght if you will. The licence is an agreement between you and the manufacturer that buys the fonts off you. They then own the licence and can use it how they want. If the licencing arrangement is one of royalties, then everytime your font is used and sold , you receive a royalty payment, if it is on a fee basis, then they 'buy' the licence off you and own the font. Example: I have created a number of soundsets for Emu, predominantly the Audity2000, XL1 and XL7 along with all the arp and BTS templates. They are licenced to Emu on a fee and royalty basis. At the moment I have created 2 roms for Emu and they were to be burnt as rom boards for the modules and command stations but since the release of the EmulatorX and a new product on the horizon (NDAs do not allow me to talk about it) the roms have been reformatted to be sold as libraries for these s/wares. In effect, the fonts have gone from Eos based architecture and format for the modules/samplers to a virtual(software) format. I own the material, they own the licence. This allows them the luxury of knowing that I cannot then go and sell the fonts to a competitor, it is theirs exclusively. The difference between these 2 products and the soundsets I created for them before is that I have granted them a licence but held onto the ownership rights, so my name has to appear alongside the products whereas before they bought the fonts off me outright and used them as thiers.
Although a font is a font, we do have ways of insuring our copyright is not infringed upon so we all either digitally sign our material or add a parameter in there that no one knows about so as to safeguard our work.
In the case of my sample cds and download packs , when you buy the cd or pack, they are Licence Free, which entitles the user to use my material in released material or in any commercial capacity, except a duplictaion and resell, and no fees have to be paid to me but I do instist oon creditation. Creditation is my marketting, you can use my samples but name the source when you release the material. This is now a major headache for distributors as the big boys sell their sample cds Licenced, which means if you use the samples in a release or commercial project you then have to pay an additional fee to 'clear the samples'. A ripoff by all standards, why should you pay 100 bucks for a sample cd to then have to pay for each and every sample that you use in your commercial projects?
This debate has been going on for years, so I always advise buyers of sample cds or cd roms or download soundfonts to first read the disclaimer and copyright terms on the package and if the product or it's contents are Licence Free or if fees need to be paid.

Sorry about the long ramble but I feel the content is important , especially for newbies, as they get roped into buying sounds off the net and then find out that they still have to pay additional fees to the holder of the licence.
I'm knackered now.
Peace.

good LAWD!!!

taking notes my man. thanks for the help

Back