profesional quality drums......

S

scrilla

anybody know where i can get a cd full of profesional sounding drums.....

drums and snares that sound like they from the era from 1996-2000.....

a more harder and crisp sound than the corny sounds i've been hearing lately...

i know we got some old school cats who know what i'm talkin bout.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a good question. I'm constantly on the search for nice drum samples and I love the drums from the late 90's era...classic ****.

Alot of producers sampled drum hits off of vinyl, so theres one option for you. Start digging.

One cheap way is to find those classics joints on vinyl. Make sure theres an instrumental on the record and then chop those drums outta the instrumental.

Most sample cd's I've bought are pretty worthless. So I don't **** with those anymore. A couple decent ones are East West or Big Fish Audio.

Lastly, but not least, cop the Mo Phatt or the Planet Phatt. Those pieces of gear have some nice drums. Believe that.

well, the drums ur talking about are samples str8 from vinyl. rather it be from a drum sample cd or cdrom library, it all originated from vinyl breakbeats, be it funk, carribean, classic r&b or blues. unless your able to find a remastered realease of music with classic breaks.

now there are places where the samples are from actual drum kits, but like you said you want them 90's sounding clean hiphop drums.

In the long run it'd be better if you copped turn tables and sampled them yourself. If you get the cd, you'll have a short-term fix for drums but when you run out later on you'll have to buy more and more. With vinyl, you can get it for 50 cents and make your own stuff. Using your own stuff sounds way cleaner in my opinion (once you get the hang of it).

Check out e-Lab, East West and Zero-G sample cd's though.

Peace

I'm confused. You keep talking about clean sounding drums but I would consider drums sampled from vinyl to be dirty sounding.

lol yeah you're right. my bad let me translate that...

When I personally say "clean" I mean professional quality. It has loud punch, you can hear all of the frequencies (the slight hihat on it or the dust from the turntable to the mad lows.) It's just all around pro quality. Instead of some techno plastic thud from a synth.

but yes, clean could be something that has the grit filtered out of it. My meaning though refers to the recording itself is clean (as in its not distorted, it sounds right, has that punch and feel that you'd expect in a phat kick).

So yes, dirty sounding from vinyl but a clean recording of it.

Peace

GOTCHA. Then yeah I would agree with the rest of the people who posted on this topic. Sample from vinyl, eq and compress or check out collections from elab, eastwest, some big fish stuff or zero g. Bangin' beats has some decent stuff and modern beats too but their sounds tend to be a little too digital sounding for me.

Check out:
Discrete Drums : R&B & Percussion

It's done by Chris McHugh and Erik Darken does the percussion.. both are sick players.

I've used this for TONS of stuff, and I know a couple of programmers in LA who use this for TV cues and tracks... It says R&B, but I've used it for ambient, pop and punk... yes punk. Some very versatile stuff... HIGHLY recommended.

Here are a few places i have found good drum sounds from. Bangin beats now have a kit full of kicks and 2 more kits of snares. Get those to start. If you want to get a quick 101 lession on diggin goto allthebreaks.com and they have a cd on all the great breaks.....i have found some good drums there too. also big fish audio have a sample cd called ghetto grooves 2 i think it comes with 800 kicks and 1000 snares, 500 percussions. also use ebay.....alot of people might think there is only junk on there but if you take a great sounding drum sound and put it with a maybe not great sound you make get something worth using. Also get out and dig yourself...it helps. I have so many drums i may not ever use them all but i got them when ever i need to layer something. I have gave up alot of info if you cant become happy with the options you(yall all) have now, youll never really be happy.

Back