Playing in chords plus more questions

Fuentes Fuentes

When I make a beat everyone keeps telling me to work on these things.
1)
Make the beat build up and build tension

2)
Also play using the same chord.

I have an idea of my first question about what there saying but would like more info on the actual practice. For my second question I have no clue. I feel they mean I am to all over the place idk? To me it's my groove idk maybe a light more light shed on these topics

• building tension is about
    • denying resolution
      • of the melody
      • of the chord progression
      • of the rhythmic line
    • increasing dissonance
      • use of non chord tones or
      • use of non-scale tones (chromatic notes)
      • using scale tones that require resolution to the note a semitone above or below
      • using parallel scale tones - e.g harmonic minor instead of major
      • using parallel chords - chords from the parallel minor scale(s)
      • using pedal tones - i.e. playing the same bass note but changing the chord above to create the illusion of extended chord tone use
      • using inverted pedal tones - this time the bass changes but the upper note(s) stay the same....
    • creating anticipation by having the underlying rhythmic bed speed up without changing the bpm
      • using triplets in place of regular pairs of notes
      • doubling the rhythmic density - e.g. 16ths become 32nds
  • playing the same chord means
    • using extended chord progressions, where each chord lasts for more than a bar
    • using only one chord throughout, using inversions to create harmonic interest
    • playing the same bass note but changing the chord above to create the illusion of extended chord tone use

Thank you so much and sorry to take so long to respond i have been busy like hell. is it to much to bother you for some examples of these also?

I've heard of some people drawing tension maps of their tracks before they even start composing. So they have a sketched out idea of where the peaks and troughs are going to be and craft the track around that.

i haven't tried it myself but its an interesting idea for sure.

Back