pitch down your hihat to c4 to get that extra trap perc sound

my question C4 as in what fl says is C4 (which in most other daws is C2 i.e. the C below Midlle C (C3))?

and, yeah, moving this to Theory, Composition and Sound design

Pitching it down should be noted in semitones or cents. I think OP has a great point that he/she would like to share, but I have a hard time understanding the amount of pitching going on because pitching it to C4 is relative to the root note of the sample.

Am I the only one who doesn't ****ing understand a thing here?!? Is it a question? Is it a fact? Is it a suggestion? A statement? What kind of hi-hat sample? In which part of any pattern? What good is this information to anyone what so ever? Am I ranting? Can someone explain to me how this information about pitching a sample up or down (being relative and all) the keyboard would do anything for any kind of genre in terms of what sounds they normally use? What if I'm using a sample that already sounds like another pitched down or up an octave?

I didn't think so.. Rah

The only thing that made any sense was only on Tuesdays because yellow smells like piano.

Last edited:
and I got suckered because, of course, the hi-hat has been nominally assigned a pitch value which has no relationship to its actual core pitch; so the real question is

does it make a difference if I drop or raise the perceived pitch height of the hi-hat sample by an octave to which the answer is an emphatic yes and no

if you lower the sample by an octave, everything in the spectral profile of the sample gets lower and therefore closer together - the inharmonic nature of cymbals is such that this may be a good thing or a bad thing- on the upside it means that your sample is as tight as it could be, on the downside you have less air (high freq content) in your hi-hat part

similarly, if you raise the sample by an octave, everything in the spectral profile of the sample gets higher and therefore further apart - the inharmonic nature of cymbals is such that this may be a good thing or a bad thing - on the downside it means that your sample is not as tight as it could be, on the upside you have more air in your hi-hat part

Hey BC, I thought if you lower the sample it gets farther apart and if you raise it, it gets closer together? Or am I not understanding something?

Not from a spectral perspective. You're thinking of the actual tempo which would bring elements of the song closer

But if you pitch a sample up or down, due to the fact that octaves are far closer together on the lower end of the frequency spectrum then the higher, frequencies are gonna be tighter as you lower them and more spread out as you raise them. As he said, how that sounds is all dependent on the instrument.

in ableton that would be pitching up, in fl that would be pitching down. like others have said say semi-tones, octaves, or some other universal value.

Hey BC, I thought if you lower the sample it gets farther apart and if you raise it, it gets closer together? Or am I not understanding something?

that is true if you you are talking about the time aspect of the sample - if you drop the pitch of the sample it should get longer (if you are doing a record player style pitch shift (e.g. 45RPM-> 33 1/13RPM), which affects both time and pitch (aka time and pitch domain convolution)) as well which means individual events in the sample are further apart and vice versa (make it higher everything gets closer together in time)

Back